How do you clean your filter socks?

snakeblitz33

Ive only been using filter socks for the last four weeks or so, and used to I was just able to rinse it under tap and let it dry - but recently the junk in it has clogged up the 200 micron felt filter sock. I read where you can put it in a bucket with chlorox bleach and let it sit for a little while and then run it through the wash cycle in the washer. Is this the generally accepted method?

How many filter socks do you have? How often do you rotate them out? How do you clean yours?

I would like to continue to use filter socks instead of something like quilters batting. I think the socks themselves just make the sump look more... professional. lol

mandy111

I have 6 filter socks I rotate 2 at a time every 2 days. I put in washing machine on extra heavy cycle double rinse. No soaps obviously just a little vinegar. Then hang on line. Turn inside out first. & get as much of the big bits out first Wash inside out too.

snakeblitz33

Thanks Mandy.

I'm doing a bleach dip for a few days and then running it in the wash with it inside out. I'm guessing the bleach will dissolve the organics in it.

I guess I need to buy 4 more filters

mandy111

Thanks Mandy.

I'm doing a bleach dip for a few days and then running it in the wash with it inside out. I'm guessing the bleach will dissolve the organics in it.

I guess I need to buy 4 more filters
Just I find washing once a week instead of every 2 days much better. Get old bucket. ( with lid ). Water & vinegar. When remove socks soak dirty ones in this bucket until all gathered for a wash. Kept wet they wash a lot easier than drying out. Warning though boy that bucket stinks when you open it. I keep mine outside lol

duane C

we turn them inside out and put them in the washing machine with no soak and they have lasted fpr 2 years...