Nitrate and Nitrite Levels Off

cysco1187

I've had my 20 gallon tank for a year and the salinity is fine so is alkalinity. I have one damsel and one clown fish. I also have a chocolate chip starfish and a peppermint shrimp. I've had all these for months. How do I correct the levels?

cysco1187

15 lbs live rock that's been in there for months and I have the filter that came with the tank. I've also never had an issue with levels.

pegasus

Subject line: Nitrate and Nitrate Levels Off

I'm guessing this has something to do with Nitrate? LOL!!! If your Nitrate level is "off" (high?), then you need to do water changes. Without large amounts of live rock and sand, Nitrate builds up in the tank, and the only way to remove it is to remove the water and replace it with fresh saltwater.

Bryce E

You say that you've had the live rock in there for months.. my first inclination would be dead matter leaching into your system from the rocks however this is merely speculation. Either way there is something that's the source and you need to find it. You have something breaking down into ammonia but you must have enough bacteria that it's keeping up and being converted into nitrite just fine. It's the bacteria that needs to convert the nitrites into nitrates that's not keeping up... it's certainly doing its job because you have elevated levels of nitrate as well
Again it just can't keep up with the source. Until u find and correct the source the thing to do is water change after water change to get the levels down to where you want and need them. I'd say that's step one. Do the water changes aggressively enough to lower the levels and if your system doesn't stabilize then find the source of the problem. Don't overfeed, rinse your frozen food before you feed etc.

Last edited:

deejeff0442

Feed less.most people who get in this hobby overfeed.fish will always be hungry so we feed them constantly. Just feed small amount once a day.i dont buy into reading they need teice a day or more.they will scavenge off the landscaping

bang guy

What about the nitrite?
Nitrite is harmless until you get into really high levels. That said, it does indicate one of three things:

1 - Something has disturbed and degraded your biologic filtration.

2 - Some type of organic material is rotting in your system and your biologic filtration cannot keep up with the load. This almost always is paired with a non-zero ammonia reading.

3 - Expired test kit. Get a new kit and see if you get the same reading.