Ammonia test

lmforbis

I upgraded my tank a couple weeks ago. I have been testing for ammonia daily since that upgrade, expecting a mini cycle. Ammonia has been reading 0.2 since I started testing a couple days after I moved everything into the new tank. In the last 2 weeks it hasn't changed at all. No increases or decreases, always detectable at 0.2. Nitrite reads 0, and fish and corals are behaving normally. I started wondering what is up and tested salt water I made up yesterday (I use RO and instant ocean reef crystals) Ammonia read the same as the tank, 0.2. Normally I don't test ammonia very often because my old tank was stable. My conclusion is the test is not reading correctly. I use the Seachem ammonia test. Any recommendations on another brand of test kit for ammonia.

lmforbis

It doesn't expire until 2016. All my test kits are seachem except Mag and I have liked them. Just not really trusting their ammonia test right now. It uses these disc you float on the water. The discs are recharged in the container. Maybe I have just worn them out. Either way I need something else as a back up and I want a reliable one.

silverado61

I use that one too. You also need their chemical test as a backup. Wash your hands well and clean that dot off. It might just be a film built up on up on it or the light isn't good enough. Shine a flashlight on it for better light and check it again. That disk should stay in the tank stuck to the glass. It also takes a while to calibrate itself.

lmforbis

This isn't a disc in the tank it is a 1/4 diameter disc that sits in the reaction vessel for 10 to 15 min. I only handle them with forceps and wash them after I use them then put them back into the vial to recharge. But yes I do need a way to double check.