Sump return line question

iidylii

Hey guys...I was just wondering...is there any reason I would need the small breather hole that peopl drill in the PVC 90 in my return line? I only ask because I installed a check valve and that should allow me to eliminate the breather hole correct? Because when I turn my sump off obviously my check valve keeps the water from siphoning back into my sump correct? Thanks again guys

pegasus

You are correct. You don't need an anti-siphon hole if you have a check valve installed... as long as the check valve is clean and seals once the pump is shut off. If it's possible, it's a good idea to clean the valve occasionally as debris will build up on the valve and not allow it to seat properly. In this case, you will have a back-siphon. It's still not a bad idea to have an anti-siphon hole drilled into the top of the water inlet as a form of redundancy... ;)

lmforbis

Considering the damage an over flowing sump can do, like Pegasus said, one little hole seems like a good backup.

iidylii

I guess the only reason I don't like the hole in it is because the current one that I have installed does have the hole in it and makes a pretty loud running water noise into the overflow...so I guess I just wanted to make it a little more quiet...any suggestions for this?

iidylii

Nevermind...I guess I've been reading that ppl just drill the hole just below the water line? But what I was wondering was once a couple of inches drain out if my tank as long as my sump has room wouldn't I be ok regardless if it siphons a few gallons?

bang guy

If you have room to handle the couple inches then there's no need for the anti siphon holes.

A note on the check valve - two or three years down the line you will forget to clean it during your weekly maintenance and that will be the day the power goes out. Saltwater critters LOVE check valves to attach to because of the outstanding waterflow and will eventually prevent it from getting a good seal.

lmforbis

In theory yes but if things got moved accidentally it could result in a mess. I put a small piece if sponge firm a filter into the hole. It stopped the noise without interfering with hole as a syphon break.

iidylii

Another thing I've just noticed by doing another 5 mins of research is I should have either bought a Y check valve or a union check valve for cleaning purposes :~{ now I'm gonna have to redo that part of my plumping :~{ live and learn I guess lol...

One other thing I've noticed my check valve I think has obviously some sort of spring to make the valve work...is this spring gonna give me problems? For instance is this metal that the spring is made of bad for my fish or is it so minimal compared to my volume of water "180 gallons" that it won't show any effects? Thanks everyone

Last edited:

geridoc

Another thing I've just noticed by doing another 5 mins of research is I should have either bought a Y check valve or a union check valve for cleaning purposes :~{ now I'm gonna have to redo that part of my plumping :~{ live and learn I guess lol...

One other thing I've noticed my check valve I think has obviously some sort of spring to make the valve work...is this spring gonna give me problems? For instance is this metal that the spring is made of bad for my fish or is it so minimal compared to my volume of water "180 gallons" that it won't show any effects? Thanks everyone
The answer is - YES, anything that can go wrong with a check valve will go wrong with a check valve sooner or later. OTOH, physics never goes wrong, so an anti-siphon hole will always work as planned.

bang guy

The answer is - YES, anything that can go wrong with a check valve will go wrong with a check valve sooner or later. OTOH, physics never goes wrong, so an anti-siphon hole will always work as planned.
Even anti-siphon holes need to be checked periodically to remove any buildup. Although they fail far less frequent than check valves they are still not foolproof.

foodshape

I have my outlet just below the water level, but just above the minimum overflow level. That way no more water can syphon back to the sump than would go via the overflow anyway.

1guydude

A piece.of airline tubing will help with the noise. Hole just has to be big enough for the airline.
+1 check valve will fail. Mine r the basic plastic pvc type. Useless now.
They have a cpl diff models. Y or wyre kind and the toilet flap one.

Imo it's best to have the tank drain so u kno ur sump can handle the volume. Or like Beaslebob said have the return line come up and over the tank only allowing a lil back siphon. Hths
D

iidylii

A piece.of airline tubing will help with the noise. Hole just has to be big enough for the airline.
+1 check valve will fail. Mine r the basic plastic pvc type. Useless now.
They have a cpl diff models. Y or wyre kind and the toilet flap one.

Imo it's best to have the tank drain so u kno ur sump can handle the volume. Or like Beaslebob said have the return line come up and over the tank only allowing a lil back siphon. Hths
D

I know my sump can handle the volume it's 125 gallons and my display is 93