Perfectly healthy Queen Angelfish suddenly stopped eating. Mid-day, no less

ClaptonsGhost

I tried to google this but all I get is that ridiculously difficult to read wetwebmedia site. Hey, guys, it's not 1995 anymore!!!

Anyway, my Queen Angel, which I've had for over 3 months now, is in perfect health, no marks or scratches and was eating up until yesterday's second feeding when it just stopped. He swam away from the food and hid for a while. Now he's somewhat swimming around again but didn't eat all day.

My previous lunatic Queen also did that once, or even twice, and then started eating again normally. No one is stressing this fish. He even stopped chasing the Majestic a few days before he stopped eating. Does anyone know if this is common behavior in Queens?

On a side note my Blue Face is also still eating like a pig and swimming around normally, but for the past 4 days or so he is all blotchy in the morning. Definitely NOBODY bothers him, he's kind of the boss of the tank. Any information on either problem is appreciated.
Cheers!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Just keep a close eye for aggression that you have not detected yet...there is no such thing as "this fish is queen of the tank". Also use a magnifying glass to closely observe the fish for any physical ailments. Abnormal breathing, red gills, the beginning of frayed fins, anything. Observe for possible aggression unobtrusively (different times of day and wo the fish noticing that you are watching).

ClaptonsGhost

I think you combined my two questions into one. The Blue Face is king, and believe me when I tell you, neither of them are the victims of aggression. The only fish in my tank that is a victim is my Majestic, and he's in perfect condition and happy as a clam, and eating.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I would follow my advise even if you feel you are sure. There is a problem with the fish, and all bases need to covered when a fish is not acting normal. You have to check things even if you feel that is not the problem.

ClaptonsGhost

Queen is eating voraciously again as of this morning. Now if we could get to why my otherwise perfectly normal Blue Face angel suddenly has early morning blotches on his body.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If these blotches are seen during sleeping lights off hours or just when you turn on lights then quickly fade to normal once the fish is fully awake and moving about, then its normal.

ClaptonsGhost

Yeah, but they're lasting well into the daylight hours. As of right now, 10:30 a.m. they're still there, not as pronounced. They do fade but it takes into the afternoon. Other than that he's still eating as voraciously as before, swimming the same routes, nothing else has changed.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Can you post a pic of this? Also, what are your water readings, including pH, salinity, nitrates, temp. Also size tank?