HELP!

kdub92

So my husband brought home this 2 gallon tank with 2 baby clownfish, 2 snails and 2 small crabs. The guy at the fish store told him this is a perfect saltwater tank starter, but after doing research of my own I'm finding everyone has negative things to say so I'm extremely nervous. This tank did not come with a heater and the guy didn't talk to my husband about ph, he basically said all he needed to do was to add saltwater in to keep it level with the other part of the tank. Any and all advice would be great, we are interested in learning but also don't want to kill these fish due to someone just wanting to make some money.

pegasus

The fish store guy mislead your husband. A 75 gallon or larger tank is the perfect starter tank. I'm sure you've learned by now that a small saltwater tank is very difficult to maintain. That said, it can be done.

First of all, do not add saltwater to keep the water level up. Once the tank has been filled with saltwater, only water will evaporate. The salt stays in the tank. Adding more saltwater will cause the salinity of the water keep going up, until it eventually kills everything. Use RO or distilled water to replace evaporated water. This is "topping off the tank". You will need some fresh saltwater to do water changes, which are recommended very frequently since you only have two gallons of water in the tank. It won't take long for it to become polluted. That's why large tanks are easier to maintain, as the higher volume of water takes longer to get nasty. As the old saying goes... the solution to pollution is dilution. Yes, you'll need a small heater to maintain a steady temp in the tank. Some form of filtration is highly recommended, as it will remove some of the nasties, as well as provide aeration and flow. DO NOT OVERFEED this small tank. Feed the fish very small portions, and let the crabs and snails clean up the leftovers... if any. Fish always act hungry, but will do fine with meager feedings.

I find it reckless on the salesman's part to push this tank an occupants on you. You were tricked into buying a tank that only an expert saltwater hobbyist would even think about attempting. I'd ask if I could return it/them. A perfect starter saltwater tank will include everything you need to get the tank up and running... less critters, or course.

jay0705

Get yourself a cheap 29 gal and its much much easier. I have a 10 gal sw tank but as peg said maintenance is more demanding on it. The bigger u go the easier it gets. My 75 is cake walk.
Now that your ready to kill the salesman, relax bc sw honestly is fairly easy just do your homework and ask lots of questions

bang guy

Have your husband take everything back to the store and contact the better business bureau. Those fish are doomed unless you get them back to the store.

This problem cannot be fixed.

flower

Hi,

A clownfish needs at least a 30g tank...2g no way. I'm with Bang Guy, take it all back and never go to THAT fish store again, and let them know why.

Saltwater tanks are awesome and not hard at all, but you do need to read a starter book, and get a larger tank, the bigger the tank, the easier it is to keep. 10g or smaller tanks, are expert only when it comes to saltwater.

Last edited:

deejeff0442

I have been doing this for 30 yrs and still wouldnt mess with something under a 20 gallon.surprised the fish didnt die just from the move.if you want a salt tank do more research first.you are not the 1st or last to be dooped by a fish store.

flower

I think our new friend took our advice and ran away. I hope she comes back, and with a better idea of what she want's to do. I just hope this little adventure didn't sour her on a SW tanks altogether. Stunts like what this LFS did, is what causes people to be afraid to even try keeping SW tanks...what a shame.

Last edited:

Kristin1234

That guy took a total advantage of your husband and doesn't care about his live stock. Return the whole shebang, give him a peice of all of our minds, come back and learn and talk about a larger tank and get one that you know you can handle.