Dwarf lionfish tank too small.

wen tom

Hi again, trying to find out if my rather large dwarf zebra lionfish is too big for it's tank. It's about 4-5 inches. 75 gal. tank and it doesn't swim around or (new) eat much. Tanks been set up for about 3 yrs. All fish appear very healthy, good parameters. 75 lbs lr. and corals too. So. . . not a lot of swim room. Had a regular zebra lion yrs. ago and all he pretty much did was hang out. But if you watch them filmed in the wild they swim a lot! Any other lionfish owners out there?

jay0705

My zebra dwarf swims around when its feeding time. On and off after that. What do you feed yours?

wen tom

Shrimp. He's decreased his feedings. It's been at least 5 days. He used to want it daily! He does swim to move from one place to another or to eat but mostly parks!

wen tom

I used to get them at the seafood place here in town (prawn type) lately my husbands been getting them at the grocery store-frzn. He claims same difference.

wen tom

I wonder if I just answered my own question. Although because we are in WY. probably both have been frozen but the individaully frzn. ones you can get at the store probably have all kinds of chemicals on them.
After I FINALLY got him off ghost shrimp I did try the recommended variety. (salmon, tuna, ect. . .) he would have NONE of it!

jay0705

After ghost, mine started w pro salt prawns. Still now there a fav. But after prawns, I got him to eat jumbo mysis. Krill was last. Idk if its the size or smell but def not as into krill as he is w prawn

jay0705

Variety is best, but they seem to like shrimp like fare. If u can find frozen prawns at a lfs I recommend them. I wiggle one at the surface to get his attention and he will swim rt up for it.

wen tom

Yeah, no such thing out here in Po-Dunk. But we do occasionally crawl out from under our rock. I usually get my frzn. mysis at a ***** or Petsmart. I'll see if they have any, thanks:)