Branching Frogspawn Death

poker34

I have a 2 branch frogspawn that was doing great and then all of a sudden one branch died. Water parameters all look great, lighting 260 watts by PC (on a 55 gallon tank), no other issues I can find. About 1 week ago I also lost a branch on my torch (but I accidently dropped a shell on it). Anyway, my main question here is: Should I cut the dead branch off of my frogspawn and my torch? If I cut it, will a new branch grow in its place? Would I have to do anything specific, or just cut it with sharp scissors? Thanks for the info.

btldreef

answers in red in the quote below
Originally Posted by poker34
http:///forum/post/3168345
I have a 2 branch frogspawn that was doing great and then all of a sudden one branch died. Water parameters all look great, lighting 260 watts by PC (on a 55 gallon tank), no other issues I can find. About 1 week ago I also lost a branch on my torch (but I accidently dropped a shell on it). Dropping a shell shouldn't have killed it, since this is the second death of a coral, fairly hardy corals, can you post your water parameters? Anyway, my main question here is: Should I cut the dead branch off of my frogspawn and my torch? YES, I would at least If I cut it, will a new branch grow in its place? Probably not. The heads normally form by splitting from a live head and the as they split, a new branch forms with the new head Would I have to do anything specific, or just cut it with sharp scissors? I've been able to snap off dead heads with my hands. Some people use sharp scissors, chip it off with a screwdriver, etc. You can youtube "fragging frogspawn" and get an idea of how you can easily remove the dead head. There's quite a few different techniques. Thanks for the info.

poker34

My last water parameters have been temp 79.0 F, pH 8.4, specific gravity 1.028 (this one has risen lately because my auto top off was not seated correctly), Ammonia and nitrite 0, Nitrate 20, calcium 460, hardness 12, phosphate 0. So now that I type my parameters, I can see they are a little off. I have the SG back down to 1.025 now. Do you think the SG may have caused this? The SG had to rise over 2 or so days because I usually check my water every couple of days. Thanks for the info.

btldreef

Originally Posted by poker34
http:///forum/post/3169295
My last water parameters have been temp 79.0 F, pH 8.4, specific gravity 1.028 (this one has risen lately because my auto top off was not seated correctly), Ammonia and nitrite 0, Nitrate 20, calcium 460, hardness 12, phosphate 0. So now that I type my parameters, I can see they are a little off. I have the SG back down to 1.025 now. Do you think the SG may have caused this? The SG had to rise over 2 or so days because I usually check my water every couple of days. Thanks for the info.
The salt shouldn't have had an effect, but it is possible. Since it's been a few days since you last posted this, how does the rest of it look now?

melypr1985

Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///forum/post/3169458
The salt shouldn't have had an effect, but it is possible. Since it's been a few days since you last posted this, how does the rest of it look now?
I agree that dropping a shell on the torch shouldn't have killed it. My torch has been through hell and back and is doing great. Recently a crab dislodged it and it fell on top of my birdsnest. Both survived that. I hope you figure it out! good luck!

poker34

The rest of the tank is looking good right now. My fish are active and feeding, my candy cane and mushrooms look good, my toadstool looks good. Maybe this will just be an unsolved mystery. The single stalks remaining on the frogspawn and torch look good to me, they extend and retract, move freely with water flow, etc. Anyway, thanks for the info.