Can fish recognize people?

R

rcreations

I mean can fish tell one person apart from another? It's really weird, whenever I get close to the tank, my Emperor Angel comes upfront sort of showing off and follows me around, eats algae out of my hand. But when my friend or someone he doesn't know comes next to the tank, he hides in a cave for a while, then slowly comes out. But he acts different than when it's me there. Very strange... the emperor and the foxface are the only two that do that. Maybe they're smarter than the other fish I have.

jaymz

I believe they can recognize there handler as non threatening. As someone there to feed them or give them treats, someone they see everyday. Verses someone/another creature they do not recognize and could be there to eat them.
Oscars of the freshwater world very much can recognize there owners, rushing the from glass when the owner appears. They get so excited they look like they are waging their tail like a dog happy to see you and begging for treats. They do not act like this when someone they do not recognize approches the tank.
The fish at the store i work at recogize the employees by our blue shirts and will rush the glass when we approach.

pastor b.

Dear hobbyist,not only do I believe that my fish recognize me when I come to the aquarium,but they also recognize my voice as well .

aquaknight

I think a lot of it has to do with patterns. The way you approach the tank, etc. Generally speaking, most owners approach the time the same way, swifty and smoothly. Most friends are rather quick and jerky, often rushing to stick their face right up to the tank. I think most owners 'know' how to approach a tank as well, never directly at the fish, sort of to the side.
I'm actually working on something like this wondering how far away my Blueface can spot me. The 125's in a big room (30'ish x 15) and so far pretty darn far, just about when I enter the room.

R

rcreations

This would make an interesting study, how fish see people. If they recognize the owner by the way they look, colors of clothes, motions. I can tell you for sure, my Foxface hides when he sees me with my winter coat on.

R

regina13

I think fish know more than most people think... They might know you for food, but also I think they know you because of your voice. Before I turn the corner to feed them I say "Time to eat", and as soon as a turn the corner they are already there.
I don't turn on lights until I turn the corner so I don't see how else they would know that I am coming.

sepulatian

My fish absolutely know when it is me. Sir Quizzy follows me, he will come to my son sometimes. When other people come up to the tank he hides behind a rock where he can still look out. His tank is in the dining room so there is quite a bit of traffic there. If I stop in front of the tank then the begging begins. If I lift the lid then it is party time, but not if someone else opens the lid.

gmann1139

My fish definitely act different when I approach the tanks vs. my wife. Especially if it's around feeding time.
I also tap the glass lightly before I drop food in. Helps on those early mornings when they aren't awake yet. It also means I can draw them out whenever I want to for 'showings.'

J

jessed244

I have noticed my chromis doesnt seem to like it when I wear RED shirts, he acts intimidated and darts away, all other colors he is very friendly. Can fish see color? I didnt know for sure.

reefmate75

well my fish know who i am from about 15 feed away, when my wife opens the freezer they act normal and swim arounf and what not, if i open the freezer they will ALL be in that corner waiting for me to drop something in