EcoTech Radion LED Lights....Or AI Or ??? I can't make up my mind.

gemmy

Thanks everyone!! I think you guys have talked some sense into me. I really want to go to LED's in future, but for now I will stick with my current fixture. It is working for me now. Like you guys have stated, the technology for the fixtures is changing and there will be better options/proven options (ex. Radion has no real reviews). I don't mind spending the money, but I want to be sure it's the right decision and right now I don't think is the right time.

2quills

Another option, Krista that may even be better than the other two. Take a look into the new Maxspect Maxarra P fixtures. They have the best color combo on the market to date. And are on par (cost wise) with the Radion fixtures. Supposed to be easy to change out leds yourself. Has all of the bells and whistles of the other controllable fixtures with simulations and all that jazz.

Another one to keep an eye out for to be hitting the market soon would be the new Pharos 3rd generation fixtures. They will run xm-l's to their full potential. Have red leds and even 420nm leds. Not expandable though and will only come in 36" and 48" fixtures.

Demo of the Radion fixture.

gemmy

Awesome!! Thanks!!!
Now, I have a question that I was just thinking about. Would UVB rays be beneficial to the corals? I believe that many of the bulbs (any type currently out there) only have the UVA spectrum, what would happen if we added UVB. This would help replicate natural sunlight. I know for many reptiles UVB is essential to help process calcium. It's just something I have been curious about.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/389020/ecotech-radion-led-lights-or-ai-or-i-cant-make-up-my-mind/20#post_3436551
Awesome!! Thanks!!!
Now, I have a question that I was just thinking about. Would UVB rays be beneficial to the corals? I believe that many of the bulbs (any type currently out there) only have the UVA spectrum, what would happen if we added UVB. This would help replicate natural sunlight. I know for many reptiles UVB is essential to help process calcium. It's just something I have been curious about.
Most of the information that I've seen would indicate that corals really only benefit from light in the 400nm-700nm range. UVB is much lower in the spectrum (280-315nm). Too much of it is dangerous as both A and B have been found to break down coral tissue in sufficient amounts. Some UVB does reach corals in the reefs but I believe much of it's intensity is filtered out through the water. Spectrum's that low can cause corals to fluoresce in colors that are completely different than their normal pigments that we normally see (but never see them fluoresce in the wild). So my thoughts are if there is sufficient enough UV to cause certain corals to do that, then it's enough to potentially harm live stock or our own eyes. Fish and corals can adapt through their protective slime coatings and increased pigments. I think a little bit of UVA in the 400nm-420nm range should be more than sufficient. Especially the 420nm range since that's a key target area of chlorophyll B. But by all means, if you can find any information out there that indicates it would be beneficial please share it. I'm still looking into a lot of this info pertaining to corals and u.v. while learning along the way.
UVC = 100–280nm:
Most harmful and used in sterilization to kill biological organisms.
UVB = 280–315nm:
Harmful and causes sunburn, skin cancer, and eye damage.
UVA = 315–400nm:
Longer wavelength and less energy than other UV. It is the least harmful but still can be damaging to DNA and the human eye.
Black Light Blue Lamps = 368-371nm
Actinic Lamps = 420nm Peak:
Although actinic lamps peak at 420nm they do produce wavelengths in the UVA range so UV protective safety rules apply.
Visible Light = 380–780nm
Photosynthetic Light = 400-700nm:
The more peaks across this broad spectrum will give you the best photosynthetic performance.

reeferchief

I also like the AI's due to the fact of the easy change out and fairly cost friendly to replace a puck. The puck is about the same as a MH or T5 bulb. Also on a 55g tank you will only need one AI fixture. I have a 65G and one will be more than enough according to several reviews I have read and even talking to several distributors. In fact many have told me you can not run full power intensity in a tank smaller than 75G because you run the risk of burning corals.
The other thing I like about AI is that if the LED technology changes you can upgrade these lights easily with a new puck. I do however like the LED lights Corey listed above.
Also with the AI, or any LED fixture for that matter, you can buy and L bracket for around $10 and drill it into a stud on your wall which will be plenty strong enough to suspend the weight of the LED fixture over your tank.

2quills

Thinking you'd still probably want 2 fixtures over a 55g vs a 65g to cover the spread on the longer footprint. Most of your high par numbers are directly bellow the fixture.
BTW incase anyone is interested. I did locate a good thread dedicated to folks who are running the Radion fixtures called "show me those radion tanks" in the lighting and equipment section over at "that site". The consensus seems to be some pretty happy customers so far. Guys who've upgraded from A.I.'s to the Radions say there is no comparison. The corals and colors are far better than A.I. Shouldn't be too long now before we hear more about growth. But common sense would lead me to believe that they should be better in those regards as well.
Still looking for threads covering the Mazzara P's. I bet those look pretty good as well if not better. From the few pics I could find the tank that they were over looked pretty sweet.

gemmy

I think I'm going to end up just upgrading to LED's. My halide ballast on the right has a short in it, half my moon lights are burnt out, something is up with one of the PC (bulbs go too quick). This is what happens when you cheap out on the essentials. *sigh*

mr btldreef

LEDs are worth every penny. It comes down to your own personal preference. If you have time try to look at tanks with LEDs on them and see which type you like best.

gemmy

I'm digging this thread up again. I have made up my mind. I am going LED. My current dilemma is which fixture I am going to go with. I have scratched the radions. My toss up is between the maxspect (1,600) 3 modules and the AI (1330ish) 2 modules. I'm leaning more toward the maxspect.

2quills

I heard you the first time lol jk. Good choice, that's the one I'd go with if it were up to me. Not sure you'll need 3 modules over the 55g. You could always try 2 and add a 3rd later if you think you need it.

gemmy

Yeah, I'm going to order two modules. I'm just waiting to hear back from a place that I'm going to order them from as to which mounting option I should order. I want to make sure I order the right one.

drew2005

Have you considered the led fixtures from acan lighting? They will be over my 75g in the near future. Ive seen them in person and they are made well and very bright!!

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew2005 http:///t/389020/ecotech-radion-led-lights-or-ai-or-i-cant-make-up-my-mind/20#post_3454724
Have you considered the led fixtures from acan lighting? They will be over my 75g in the near future. Ive seen them in person and they are made well and very bright!!
Honestly you can't put the Acanlighting in the same category as the Maxspect P series.....The Acan fixture only utilizes 2 color LEDs....where as the Maxspect utilizes 6.....A big difference in what you'll see and get. The Maxspect covers a wider spectrum.

drew2005

Ok good point. Now im checking out these fixtures. So far i like what i see. How many do you think i would need over a 75? 3 modules?
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/389020/ecotech-radion-led-lights-or-ai-or-i-cant-make-up-my-mind/20#post_3454729
Honestly you can't put the Acanlighting in the same category as the Maxspect P series.....The Acan fixture only utilizes 2 color LEDs....where as the Maxspect utilizes 6.....A big difference in what you'll see and get. The Maxspect covers a wider spectrum.