Feeding Clownfish

ntank20

I have gotten my first two clownfish and the only thing they will eat is mysis and brine shrimp. The guy at the fish store sold me this food called granumarin, but the clowns spit it out. My question is, should I feed my clowns once a day or once every other day? If you could please help me with this I would appreciate it.

bill109

ok dont feed brine shrimp to them all the time its not nutritious.|mysis is but heres the thing
they will eat what iis served to them when they are hungary engough.
but i feed mysis(frozen) and flake to the clowns.. and wow they love it
one of my clowns is so fat it looks like hes gonna pop

mscarpena

I feed mine 2-3 times per day. 2 is probably best. Feed them a variety of frozen foods. I feed mine like 15 different things once per week.

ntank20

I am new at this so i don't really know what to feed them or how much to feed them. The only reason i was feeding once every other day is that the guy at the fish store told me to do that. Is there other frozen things i can feed them besides mysis and brine shrimp.

bill109

Originally Posted by NTank20
I am new at this so i don't really know what to feed them or how much to feed them. The only reason i was feeding once every other day is that the guy at the fish store told me to do that. Is there other frozen things i can feed them besides mysis and brine shrimp.
i feed once eveyother day..
make your fish search around the tank or algea and eat tht but if you only have clownfih then i would say to feed then ONCE a day a little but only
you dont ant extra food in the tank
because when thi decys you will get ammonia tn into nitrite then into nitrate then you need to do a water change to get rid of this more work on you
do you have a test kit.?

ntank20

yes. I have seen some leftovers in the tank before, but when i go back in something has eaten them. I have kept testing my water and everything is good. Thanks for all your help.

mscarpena

I feed my fish 3 times per day, but I breed mine so good nutrition is important to me. He is correct you do not want to over feed. I have no water quality issues with feeding 3 time per day. You want to feed 3-4 peices per fish 2 times per day. Get some pepermint shrimp or some other scavengers that will eat any food that is not consumed by your fish. They should have all the food gone in about 2 minutes. There are many foods available for clownfish. The clownfish will not pick at the algae on the rocks. You can feed them brine shrimp, mysid shrimp, blood worms, table shrimp, cyclop-eeze, copepods, calanus plankton, ocean plankton, krill, squid, scalops, crab, flake foods(multiflake, and spurilina), and there are many good mixed foods with a good varitey for clowns. Pick 3-5 items on this list and use them once per week.

30-xtra high

i have a cinnamon that eats 2-3 times a day, i feed him 1 mysis cube a day, some tetra marine granule pellets, there are brown pellets and red pellets, he only eats the red ones, he eats a pellet, and if it's red he swallows and if its brown he spits it out. :notsure:

tronicsdr

I have 2 automatic timers that go off at the same time one does a some pellets and the other does flake. this happens twice a day. I supplement with a variety of frozen foods, I also highly recommend cyclopeeze, I get the frozen ones from my LFS. If I am home and feeding I may remove the timers for the evening feeding and do something a little different for the evening... You will have to figure out what is right for you based on your livestock, inverts, bio load, cleanup crew, and very importanly - your water quality

doglvr

Twice a day with a huge variety of foods. My freezer & cupboards have more food for the tank than it does for me

ntank20

I have been feeding them every other day. But today one of them wouldn't eat. He would swim up to the top and then swin back down to the bottom. I don't know what is wrong with him. I think he might be a little tired, I left the blue acintic lights on all night for my new anemone. The anemone started to act funny yesterday morning and then towards 5:00 pm he started to fully open up again. So i left my lights on just in case that was the problem. Then it did it again today about 12:00 noon and now he is just starting to open up again. So maybe the clown fish is just exausted from the lights being on all night. I hope there is nothing wrong with him. Maybe there is something I should be soaking the shrimp in to make them more nutritous for him. All he will eat is shrimp. I tried to feed him the granumarin again but he just spits it back out. Any suggestions. I just don't want to overfeed them, I am a begginer i know and i will have to get my own system, but i hate doing things wrong.