FoxFace

unleashed

Originally Posted by MilwaukeeM
I am very new to this hobby but look forward to having it for a long time to come.... I currently have a clown, foxface rabbit, and a koran angel, I have had them now for about a week... When purchasing the fish I also of coarse purchased food as well... Like a normal newbie would do is go by what the person in the LFS advises them to feed the fish.... So I purchased frozen brine shrimp cubes & frozen plaknton cubes... He advised to feed one cube of each, once a day.... Now after reading this thread I realize people almost create a menu for there fish.... Now my only question is what is the best "menu" for the fish I have and how often do I need to feed them???
above in #14 is a list of foods i give my fish and reccomend highly the pellets are for all species .i personaly dont use brine for anything but you already have it it lacks nutritional value for sw fish.for your angel i reccomend angel formula by ocean nutrition(frozen cubes).your clown will benefit from all of these foods its an omnivore .so for him the plankton and some mysis shrimp.with a tad of brine in the mix till its used up. they will do best being fed at least 2-3 times daily 2 feedings of the pellets morning, midday/afternoon night time i feed pm feeding 10-15 min before lights out each night
pm feeding consist of all frozen prepaired foods mixed together in one cup as discribed above with add vit suppliment also suggested above.you can also add some seaweed selects to the menue as a snack for your foxface periodicly.your new foxface if hes eating well for you now if you nitice him getting stressed(turning colors and hiding) i stopped this effect by giving a small amount of pellets to mine until he became fully adjusted to captive living i litterally fed mine 7-8 times a day in very small amounts while he was in my qt every time he changed colors(that is a sign of stress) or fear you will see this first thing in the morning when the lights come on. i hope this helps good luck

urodude

My 2 cents
spectrum sinking pellets once daily
Frozen cubes(variety pack) every other day
Algae sheet(ripped into small pieces) 2 or three times per week
I have 3 yellow tangs, 1 blue hippo tang, 1 foxface, emperor angel, asfur angel, clown trigger, picasso trigger, cuban hog, cinammon clown, rainbow wrasse, Hawaaian puffer.
All doing great, although a relatively new tank- 4 months
Oh, to answer the next question- 360 gal

darth tang

Originally Posted by rrundle77
I was reading that clams will help a tank with messy eaters do they feed on nitrites any truth to this??. I have a Linka to help w/ nitrites already

Yes and no. There are clams (cleaner clams or long necked clams at the supermarket) That have no lighting or feeding regiment. They will filter water and gain food that way. They also feed off of Nitrates (not nitrites). I used these for many years when I had a crushed coral bed in my tank. Kept my nitrates at 0 with a crushed coral bed. Imagine that.
I have sinced stopped usingt crushed corals and these clams. The problem is they burrow into your sand bed and have caused live rock collapses. If you have a nitrate problem, I recomend them as an aid (not a cure all). If you don't, there is no reason for them as you won't see them much and they are ugly to begin with.

unleashed

Originally Posted by Urodude
My 2 cents
spectrum sinking pellets once daily
Frozen cubes(variety pack) every other day
Algae sheet(ripped into small pieces) 2 or three times per week
I have 3 yellow tangs, 1 blue hippo tang, 1 foxface, emperor angel, asfur angel, clown trigger, picasso trigger, cuban hog, cinammon clown, rainbow wrasse, Hawaaian puffer.
All doing great, although a relatively new tank- 4 months
Oh, to answer the next question- 360 gal
im not trying to flame you here but i did find an earlier post of yours :
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/205906/overfeeding
about your diet for your fish this posted last month you have cut your feeding down conciderably sinse this was posted .i noticed you stated you had the foxface and some of the tangs in a previous tank? for 4-5 yrs? your feeding schedule was almost identical to mine and your fish were happy ? why would you cut down so much im just curious.if you had fed these fish so well in the past and kept them healthy for this long of a period of time why would you change it now that they are in a much larger system and adding more fish.im confused about this is all.I just like like you attempted to feed less often after reading so many people feeding every other day i found it to create more agression within my tanks which created much more stress causing an ich outbreak in my tangs.i went right back to my old routine no more agression no more ich.

urodude

Good to do your research. The blue hippo and foxface were in my reef tank for several years(110 gal) but got too big. The foxface was bugging the purple tank. I moved them into the fish only tank a month or so ago and are doing fine.
The reason I reduced my feeding schedule was a problem I was having with nitrites. I finally discovered the reason- The wet dry came with a thick pad which was dampening the water stream and focusing it to a small section of bioballs, insufficient to convert all the nitrite. I have since gone to a thinner pad and put small ceramic tiles directly below the inflows of the wet dry to better distribute the water to the drip tray- nitrites now essentially zero.
While I was feeding very little when having the problem, I have liberalized somewhat as detailed in the previous thread. The fish were getting a little aggressive with the once a day pellet only feeding(mainly the yellow tangs)
Hope this helps explain

unleashed

i do understand and yes i can relate totally one the water quality issue i also have a 300 gal semi agressive reef my tangs being the most aggressive of them all .after doing alot of research on each species i own I found that tangs btw foxfaces are related to but not accual tangs.because of the diet they feed on which is high in fiber(making them poop machines)and they are also highly active species they burn off the energy from foods very quickly.making feeding schedule of mutlipul times daily required.this is one of the reasons ich and HLLE are so prone in these species in captive enviroments is lack of foods and nutrients .i got on a major kick about nutriton a couple yrs ago for my fish and exces feeding for one of my fish that had an accident during a feeding frenzy with my puffer.this is the best example i can give for you.fisrt photo is om my first foxface she was 3 1/2 yrs in my tank this photo was taken in the last yr i had her she passed away last spring due to malnutrion and harrassment from my sailfin. if you look closely you will see she had no lower jaw so she was unable to graze on foods and could eat flaked foods i fed her 6-8 times daily for over a yr to keep her alive but each feeding was minimized boy other tank mates once she was reintroduced to a main tank my sailfin hogged her food and she eventually died.notice the encave chest region of this photo.compair this to my new foxface this fish is fed 3 times day 2 feedings of pellets and one frozen prepared foods with added suppliment. there is a drastic difference in appearance and over all health

urodude

Sad about your previous fish. Newer one looks great. Mine is a standard yellow foxface but also very healthy looking(again, have had it for 4-5 years and is now around 6 inches)
Since the fish would probably eat as much and whatever they were given, the best advice is probable to have variety in the diet and watch the fish closely as to their appearance
I will continue to monitor water quality closely. I have a denitrifier on both my reef and fish only tanks, and do not do routine water changes(apologies to the purists)

unleashed

Originally Posted by Urodude
Sad about your previous fish. Newer one looks great. Mine is a standard yellow foxface but also very healthy looking(again, have had it for 4-5 years and is now around 6 inches)
Since the fish would probably eat as much and whatever they were given, the best advice is probable to have variety in the diet and watch the fish closely as to their appearance
I will continue to monitor water quality closely. I have a denitrifier on both my reef and fish only tanks, and do not do routine water changes(apologies to the purists)
i purchase mine at that size well my bi colored is about 5 inches now about full grown.as for dentrofiers what kind are you using?.I do 25% weekly on most of my tanks and about 50 gal weekly on my 300 for filtration i have proclear 300 wet dry ,filter media is pura pads and bio balls, venturi protien skimmer.i normally dont have a problem with water quality as long as i keep up with my routine.we are soon to be adding a refuge also to the tank just working on all the detailes to get it right .thats the one foxface i havent tried yet was the foxface lo if i ever set up another tank for fish only i may have to get one just to say i have all 3 lol.

urodude

It's made by Natureef here in South Florida. The one on my reef tank has been working for 7 years. The only water changes(partial) have been when the tank was moved to my office and a few years later, a new office. That one also has the phosphate option, so phosphate is zero without additional treatments. Nitrogone and phosphogone feed the chamber several times a day.
The denitrifier on the 360 fish only tank is only a few months old, but has good bacterial growth. I'm still monitoring levels. I'm used to zero nitrates in my reef tank, but don't think I can achieve that in the fish only tank, even with the denitrifier given the much larger bioload.

milwaukeem

Quick question.... I notice how most people feed there fish several times a day, with different foods... The only question I have now is how do you make this work if you are at work from morning to evening? 9am to 6pm?

zsalinas

I feed once before I leave for work at about 8 A.M. then when I get home at about 5:30 P.M. then again like 10 to 15 before lights out at 10 P.M.

unleashed

Quick question.... I notice how most people feed there fish several times a day, with different foods... The only question I have now is how do you make this work if you are at work from morning to evening? 9am to 6pm?
I am now home all day buy before nov i worked out of the house .i fed before i went to work about 7 am then i returned hom at 6 fed again(before i fed hubby lol) then again 10-15 min before lights out 11 pm. for pelleted and flaked foods you can also set up an automatic feeder to dispence the proper amounts each time on an exact schedule of multipul feedings or single daily feedings then worry about frozen prepaired foods in the evening .

ophiura

Originally Posted by rrundle77
I was reading that clams will help a tank with messy eaters do they feed on nitrites any truth to this??. I have a Linka to help w/ nitrites already

What's a Linka??

N

nereef

Originally Posted by ophiura
What's a Linka??
i suppose a linkia star. i wouldn't think a starfish would help much with nitrate levels.

N

nereef

i also wouldn't suggest trying to keep a linkia star in a tank with nitrate problems.

ophiura

Yeah, it definitely concerns me...that is what I was wondering...and to help with nitrites!?!?!?!? :notsure: But DEFINITELY no help to water quality in any way.

N

nereef

i don't think any inhabitant improves water quality besides detrius eaters. water quality=water changes+LR+Circulation+Skimmer

milwaukeem

From what I have seen this is the best place to get advice when it comes to your tank's food menu... Saying that to say this I have recently purchased a Red General and wanted to reach out and see if anyone had any dieting tips for this guy? Thanks!

unleashed

From what I have seen this is the best place to get advice when it comes to your tank's food menu... Saying that to say this I have recently purchased a Red General and wanted to reach out and see if anyone had any dieting tips for this guy? Thanks!
i cant help you with this name discription red general if you can post a pic so we can get a better idea if its species ill be able to find exactly its requirments for dietary needs.i did a search for red general and got no results in the fish related topics as to what kind it is.once i have the correct name for it ill have its diet for you( i do alot of this research)

milwaukeem

The Red General Starfish or Protoreaster linckii can be found through this link https://www.saltwaterfish.com/
You may have to copy and paste the link to get it to... They actually sell them on this site if you go under inverts and scrll down to starfish, let me know thanks!!