Fragging an Elegance coral

mspad

I have this hugh Australian Elegance Coral that I would like to frag. Has anyone ever attempted this. If so, how would this be done?
Thanks

fats71

I have one as well and as I am told they are no longer being sold or shipped in. It is very important that I do not kill it trying to get it fragged. It sometimes lookslike it is going to split however I do not see how as the bottom or the base is a solid.

spanko

Are you wanting to frag because it is getting too large? If you are just wanting to get some more pcs. to sell or trade here is an excerpt from an article by Richard Durso.
Upon closer inspection I could see it was no Aiptasia… it was a mini-Elegance!!I was amazed that this coral had dropped off a daughter colony without me noticing it. This process must have taken a significant amount of time. How could it have done that without showing some sign of stress? I quickly cleaned off the rest of the glass to see if I could locate any other daughter colonies, and I was able to locate three more, all of them in the back of the tank behind the rock work.
I noticed that in several locations the Elegance coral's outer oral disc was expanded beyond what is normal...........
This oral disc, which is hyper-extended, starts to secrete a calcium skeleton separate from the skeleton of the rest of the colony. Apparently, this skeleton continues to gain mass, and its weight stretches the flesh of the coral that is holding it to the parent colony. Eventually, this weight is great enough to tear it away from the parent and a new daughter colony is created.
Google this
Asexual Reproduction of Catalaphyllia jardinei
(Elegance coral)
for the full article.

Originally Posted by Fats71
http:///forum/post/2713647
I have one as well and as I am told they are no longer being sold or shipped in. It is very important that I do not kill it trying to get it fragged. It sometimes lookslike it is going to split however I do not see how as the bottom or the base is a solid.

You can still get them but they are expensive, I just saw one at my LFS and it cost $125 for five heads. How long have you had it?

fats71

Originally Posted by privatejoker
http:///forum/post/2718764
You can still get them but they are expensive, I just saw one at my LFS and it cost $125 for five heads. How long have you had it?
awhile...
I was told two weeks ago you are no longer able to get them. The ones people already have obviously they are still for sale.