Garlic Powder

wpd128

Can you sprinkle the fish food with garlic powder? Just wondering, that is all I have in my house tonight.
Thanks.

socal57che

It won't stick to the food if you feed dried foods, but I can drop a couple granules in the water and the fish will eat them. I do this once a week. Been doing it for months and have seen no ill effects. Garlic powder is more intense than fresh garlic so watch the amounts. You could soak the powder in a dish with tankwater then add it to your food. Kinda depends on what your feeding to your fish. I feed a combo of flakes that contain garlic (Ocean nutrition w/2% garlic added) along with the dried, frozen and live food (I hatch my own brine shrimp). If anyone knows if powder is definitely NOT good for any reason please post.

socal57che

I also haven't noticed a change in PH, but I guess it could happen. Will the acid in garlic effect the PH long term?

merredeth

Originally Posted by wpd128
Can you sprinkle the fish food with garlic powder? Just wondering, that is all I have in my house tonight.
Thanks.
I haven't done this, but in am emergecny situation can anyone tell me why using garlic powder mixed with water wouldn't provide the same results?
Then take the watered down mix I made and then soaked silversides or bloodworms in the garlic mix and scoop that out after about a half hour or 45 minutes and feed the fish it.
Like I said, I've never done this as I prefer fresh garlic and an over the counter product to alternate with, but if I was in a jam I can't see any reason this wouldn't work.
Can anyone else?
Denise M.

speg

I dont *think* it would work. You're looking for the liquid inside garlic which contains the ingredient that helps strengthen the immune system on fish. With a powder I dont believe you'd find that chemical.

bluelagoon

i think it's possible for the immune-defense properties to be found in powdered garlic. when you buy garlic in pill form for yourself it's usually a powder inside a capsule, so it's quite possible.

swlover

Ok I'm new to SW, I must have missed something.. why are you feeding garlic to fish? I know it's good for people, dogs, cats..even horses. I did not know you can feed this to your fish..do they like it? What are the benefits and how much do you feed them..very interested.

merredeth

Originally Posted by swlover
Ok I'm new to SW, I must have missed something.. why are you feeding garlic to fish? I know it's good for people, dogs, cats..even horses. I did not know you can feed this to your fish..do they like it? What are the benefits and how much do you feed them..very interested.

Feeding garlic to fish is good for their immune system so they fight off things like ich.
Denise M.

sweetdawn

so if you feed garlic to your fish a lot with they smell like garlic and taste like garlic. could we just throw a lot of garlic in a lake and have our fish pre seasoned
this is a poor attempt at humor by the way

speg

Originally Posted by sweetdawn
Couldnt agree with you more.
:)

ophiura

I wouldn't use garlic powder...I am sure there is lots of other stuff in it and just not ideal, IMO. Just get some garlic, press out some juice, or chop some garlic and soak food in it with a bit of water. Its easy to do, and fresh is always better, IMO.

ktsdad

Originally Posted by wpd128
Thanks.
Another option ---
Just feed them regular food without the garlic until you can what you need

My fish have been happy for the last few months without it, it is not a mandatory food item.
They will be ok until you can get to store for some fresh garlic or get some Kent Garlic Extreme.
Just my .02$
Good Luck!

merredeth

Originally Posted by sweetdawn
so if you feed garlic to your fish a lot with they smell like garlic and taste like garlic. could we just throw a lot of garlic in a lake and have our fish pre seasoned
You're right. I know you can do better in the humor department.

Denise M.

i<3fish

Now, when you feed them frsh galic... how fine do you chop it up? My fish just spit it out. I chopped it and tried criching it also. So they were small peices.

sea keeper

I have a ? on the garlic guard. I have been soaking the frozen food in it and giving it to the fish that way. Can you give them to much of the garlic guard? Should i do this every day, once a week? how often do you think????
Barb

speg

When you soak the food in it.. you are just trying to get the garlic to absorb itself into the food. You're not looking to put garlic guard directly into the tank by any means. When you have the food soaked after a day or so then you are going to want to strain the garlic juice from the food as much as possible before adding it to your tank. Protein skimmers hate this stuff by the way hehe.

scubadoo

It is the Allicin in garlic that helps with disease prevention.....I doubt little if any will be found in garlic powder.

scubadoo

As I thought....
Garlic oil and powder supplements are produced by distilling fresh garlic, and then diluting it with other substances. This process destroys the majority of allicin in garlic.

mrdc

Originally Posted by ScubaDoo
As I thought....
Garlic oil and powder supplements are produced by distilling fresh garlic, and then diluting it with other substances. This process destroys the majority of allicin in garlic.

Do you think this also apploes to kent extreme garlic?

J

jasondean

I've used garlic extreme you just drop a couple drops in your food mix it up let it soak for a few then feed. I've also used garlic soft gel tablets just cut them open with a razor and sqeeze. Garlic with the food does work for ick it's pretty cool and easy.