Garlic Powder

scubadoo

Originally Posted by mrdc
Do you think this also apploes to kent extreme garlic?
Fresh garlic is always best...but I use the kent product too. I would think the best source of allicin is from fresh garlic.

scubadoo

Originally Posted by Sea Keeper
I have a ? on the garlic guard. I have been soaking the frozen food in it and giving it to the fish that way. Can you give them to much of the garlic guard? Should i do this every day, once a week? how often do you think????
Barb
I alternate each day. One day I feed all my fish food soaked in garlic...the next day food soaked in vitamins.

mrdc

That's exactly what I do. What sort of vitamins are you using? I'm using zoe, zoecon and vita-chem (not all at once). The vita-chem is really good. I have a freshwater african cichlid that has been dealing with hole in the head for awhile now. I tried several medications with frequent water changes for months and would get the hole cleared up but would come back shortly after stopping medication. I finally gave up. Later, I started using vita-chem for the marine fish and decided it was worth a shot to use on the cichlid. A week later the hole started closing and now (3 weeks later) the hole has healed! I also give him garlic too.

socal57che

"The principle active agent in garlic is allicin. Allin and Allisin are sulphur-containing components. The sulphur compounds have antibiotic and antifungal effects that help stop the liver from producing too much cholesterol and thus help prevent blood clots in the brain and heart".
I'm still looking, but I'm pretty certain powdered garlic contains no additives and does contain allisin.

socal57che

Here's a cool link.
http://www.allicin.com/
It explains allicin/allisin and garlic.
"Because allicin is so unstable, once it is generated it readily changes into other compounds. Thus cooking, aging, crushing and otherwise processing garlic causes allicin to be decomposed into other compounds. According to two studies of garlic preparations, allicin decreased to non-detectable amounts within one to six days".

scubadoo

Originally Posted by mrdc
That's exactly what I do. What sort of vitamins are you using? I'm using zoe, zoecon and vita-chem (not all at once). The vita-chem is really good. I have a freshwater african cichlid that has been dealing with hole in the head for awhile now. I tried several medications with frequent water changes for months and would get the hole cleared up but would come back shortly after stopping medication. I finally gave up. Later, I started using vita-chem for the marine fish and decided it was worth a shot to use on the cichlid. A week later the hole started closing and now (3 weeks later) the hole has healed! I also give him garlic too.
I also use selcon

scubadoo

Article by Jorge Cortes, Jr.....
Allicin Wonderland
In a parasitic protozoan infestation similar to Marine Ich, there are usually two major insults to the host fish's physiology:
the gross tissue damage committed by the protozoans themselves;
and the secondary infections that crash the party.
The applicability of such a broad-spectrum antiseptic as contained in garlic towards fending off secondary infections should be obvious, so I will set aside secondary infections at this point. Allicin has been observed to suppress the efficacy of cysteine proteinase and alcohol dehydrogenase, two tissue-demolition agents produced by another protozoan parasite, Entamoeba histolytica, (Ankri et.al., 1997), and one can easily extrapolate how garlic medication might limit the invasive and predatory damage caused directly by C. irritans.
Still, what generates as much (if not more) speculation is not the ability of garlic to restrict damage, but rather garlic's apparent ability to deliver damage to the parasites themselves -with numerous claims of outright detachment of C. irritans trophonts (the burrowing protozoans) and tomonts (the "egg cysts") as a result.
The aforementioned ability of allicin to permeate tissue and mucus enables it to invest an afflicted area thoroughly with its partially sulfurous chemical signature. The potential is there to mask the chemical cues that enable a parasite's recognition of the host, potentially confusing the invader and further suppressing the havoc it wreaks. (Indeed this would help uninfested fish dodge "Marine Ich").
Definitely, allicin brings outright chemical assault to the parasite. In one test, allicin’s cytotoxicity fell heavily against the parasitic protozoans Trypanosoma spp. and Giardia lamblia in concentrations that were well within the tolerance of 'host-tissue' fibroblasts (Lun et.al., 1994). The same penetrating power that ensures thorough investiture of the contested tissue with protective and camouflaging agents can also ensure thorough delivery of allicin's antagonism to --indeed, into-- invading parasites.
Lastly (though certainly, other properties may yet be discovered), allicin is said to reinforce the cues for cellular apoptosis, the mechanism of programmed cell-death (Thatte et.al., 2000). An innate mechanism such as apoptosis, guided with care, has the potential to severely limit the spread of say, cancer, by motivating cancerous cells to quickly self-terminate before they can multiply. If such a 'scorched earth' defense can be triggered by an infestation episode and be guided/reinforced by allicin, then yet another way may be revealed how garlic hinders both the ability of parasites to feed on host tissue and any opportunity for secondary infections to spread.
So roughly, garlic therapy can potentially
fend off secondary infection;
neutralize the chemicals used by the parasite to destroy host tissue;
mask host tissue, making it difficult for the parasite to recognize it;
deliver outright damage to the parasite.

socal57che

I gathered from what I read that using oil from freshly crushed garlic is about the only way to actually get allicin into the fish, since it degenerates quickly.

shtewey

Originally Posted by socal57che
http:///forum/post/1487694
It won't stick to the food if you feed dried foods, but I can drop a couple granules in the water and the fish will eat them. I do this once a week. Been doing it for months and have seen no ill effects. Garlic powder is more intense than fresh garlic so watch the amounts. You could soak the powder in a dish with tankwater then add it to your food. Kinda depends on what your feeding to your fish. I feed a combo of flakes that contain garlic (Ocean nutrition w/2% garlic added) along with the dried, frozen and live food (I hatch my own brine shrimp). If anyone knows if powder is definitely NOT good for any reason please post.
I am new to aquariums and I have a "brackesh" Puffer fish that will not eat anything but frozen blood worms and maybe froze brine shrimp. I read alot on here about using garlic as a way to help to get him to eat flakes and pellets. I am getting confused on how to mix with a quantity of garlic and flakes(or pellets). Can some one explain a little more? The frozen worms are getting pricey and would like him to eat other food.

al mc

Originally Posted by shtewey
http:///forum/post/2540912
I am new to aquariums and I have a "brackesh" Puffer fish that will not eat anything but frozen blood worms and maybe froze brine shrimp. I read alot on here about using garlic as a way to help to get him to eat flakes and pellets. I am getting confused on how to mix with a quantity of garlic and flakes(or pellets). Can some one explain a little more? The frozen worms are getting pricey and would like him to eat other food.
My puffers will not touch dry flakes/pellets...just frozen..
Garlic: Purported to have many positive effects. While I do use it as an appetite stimulant it is open to debate about how much of a positive immune stimulating effect/antibiotic and/or anti Ich effects.
I use either bottled garlic...like Seachem's Garlic Guard or fresh squeezed garlic 'juice' to try to stimulate appetites. It may not be an appetite stimulant
but it may just have enough 'odor' to attract fish to check out the food laced with it..then they eat it.

peasofme

my valentini puffer eats spectrum marine sinking pellets, live brine shrimp, ghost shrimp, red seaweed from the beach that looks like stringy twigs, frozen shrimp tails from the grocery store, and bits of grilled chicken patty in that order. you could also try freeze dried blood worms, tubiflex worms. he won't eat flakes.