Hairy mushroom dying?

zshain012

I recently put a rock with about 7 hairy mushroom heads on it in my tank. But here in the past couple of days some of them have been dangling from the rock. Does this mean it is splitting or is it dying? I left my camera at my gfs house so I don't have pics, sorry.

anonome

Doesn't sound good, but how in 3 hours were they great? Today you posted to another person in the soft coral section that they are great mushrooms to get, not starting wars, but just don't understand.

Post a pic of these mushrooms. It could be that they are splitting, but from the discription it is most likely melting. Unable to help you without a pic. Also post your perameters.
They need flow, but not to the point of blowing them off the rock, could be lack of flow. I want to help, but need more info.

veni vidi vici

Could be they just dont like their location and are releasing from rock,maybe flow has dislodged them.Shrooms are almost indestructible.

zshain012

Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici
http:///forum/post/2855108
Could be they just dont like their location and are releasing from rock,maybe flow has dislodged them.Shrooms are almost indestructible.
so maybe they are getting to much flow?

I have some fuzzy green mushrooms and i keep them towards the top of my tank and they recieve moderate flow froma max1-jet 900 over the top. also running MH and dual atinic lights. as mushies are basically a type of anenome i add cyclopeeze to tank to feed them along with soft corals in tank.. they do move around when splitting so keep an eye on them and good luck they also host my clownies..heres a pic and ive had them 3 years now

zshain012

Originally Posted by FalsePercula26
http:///forum/post/2855244
I have some fuzzy green mushrooms and i keep them towards the top of my tank and they recieve moderate flow froma max1-jet 900 over the top. also running MH and dual atinic lights. as mushies are basically a type of anenome i add cyclopeeze to tank to feed them along with soft corals in tank.. they do move around when splitting so keep an eye on them and good luck they also host my clownies..heres a pic and ive had them 3 years now
ok thanks. So does it sound like they are splitting to you?

anonome

The first pic has me somewhat concerned. It appears that you have slime algae, or cyanobacteria. This alone will kill corals, and will quickly over take them. The algae will quickly consume the oxygen levels in the tank. It is a very aggressive bacteria. Have you checked your perameters lately? I would assume that you have a high nitrate level, and high dissolved organics. This should really be taken control of before it completely overtakes the tank. Water changes will help a lot. Not too much too soon, just multiple water changes within a weeks time period. Siphon out what you can (slime algae) during the changes.
As far as the frogspawn pic, that is normal growth.

tdog7879

Originally Posted by Anonome
http:///forum/post/2856312
The first pic has me somewhat concerned. It appears that you have slime algae, or cyanobacteria. This alone will kill corals, and will quickly over take them. The algae will quickly consume the oxygen levels in the tank. It is a very aggressive bacteria. Have you checked your perameters lately? I would assume that you have a high nitrate level, and high dissolved organics. This should really be taken control of before it completely overtakes the tank. Water changes will help a lot. Not too much too soon, just multiple water changes within a weeks time period. Siphon out what you can (slime algae) during the changes.
As far as the frogspawn pic, that is normal growth.
+1 on that

zshain012

So how do I get this slime out exactly? Yea, I have been doing a lot of water changes. My levels are ok except my nitrates are up some