how long can a coral stay out of water?

mopar9012

Monday i shipped out a toungue coral and some shrooms. I just got word that one of the bags had popped and some water came out but half the water stayed.
Is there any chance that those corals could make it?(i dont know which coral bag popped)

reefreak29

thers a possibility it could still make it , i think when corals are exposed to air they create a slime covering to protect them

anonome

I have to agree, I have a nightmare of a story.....Ordered two corals, a fox...my favorite, and a rock of zoa's. (not from saltwaterfish.com) and it arrived by fedex at my office in a plastic bag that the fedex person said had dump water all over the truck. They delivered the bag to me upside down. :scared: and wondered why it leaked.
...go figure!! :thinking: The box was clearly marked this end up....nope delivered upside down.....He got an ear full. I placed the corals in my tank after a routine iodine dip.....and one week later both are doing well. I tell you there was very little water left in the bags on both. Not sure on how long they were like this. I honestly think the bags saved them, no open air to expose them. You hopefully will be fine.....I cross my fingers for you!! Keep us posted.
I secreatly hope the truck stunk from the water dumped on the floor of the truck......Serves them right....if the box is marked with arrows up, and they deliver with the arrows down......Ok, I can get past this, I have vented. And we pay extra to ship by Fed ex. not impressed. :mad:

mc_fish

Do I need a test kit for my tank even tho i have seawater from my LFS and change it on time with h20 from my LFS and my tank looks good?
btw my LFS said I don't need a skimmer if im just doing fish and live rock? But I defintiely think I need some powerjets! how many powerjets should I get for a 38 gal tank with almost 30 lbs of live rock! can you reccomend a good powerjet? thanks

mopar9012

Originally Posted by Anonome
I have to agree, I have a nightmare of a story.....Ordered two corals, a fox...my favorite, and a rock of zoa's. (not from saltwaterfish.com) and it arrived by fedex at my office in a plastic bag that the fedex person said had dump water all over the truck. They delivered the bag to me upside down. :scared: and wondered why it leaked.
...go figure!! :thinking: The box was clearly marked this end up....nope delivered upside down.....He got an ear full. I placed the corals in my tank after a routine iodine dip.....and one week later both are doing well. I tell you there was very little water left in the bags on both. Not sure on how long they were like this. I honestly think the bags saved them, no open air to expose them. You hopefully will be fine.....I cross my fingers for you!! Keep us posted.
I secreatly hope the truck stunk from the water dumped on the floor of the truck......Serves them right....if the box is marked with arrows up, and they deliver with the arrows down......Ok, I can get past this, I have vented. And we pay extra to ship by Fed ex. not impressed. :mad:
well at least they made it
honestly I dont know how they are doing, Im scared to email the person and ask.

T

tizzo

Low tide...
Corals can be out of water for a pretty good bit of time..
But just being out of water is not an isolated concern... It may bump against the edge of the bag and tissue may get damaged...
The mushroom should be fine. I couldn't kill mine when I try, but the tongue... :thinking:

mopar9012

Originally Posted by Tizzo
Low tide...
Corals can be out of water for a pretty good bit of time..
But just being out of water is not an isolated concern... It may bump against the edge of the bag and tissue may get damaged...
The mushroom should be fine. I couldn't kill mine when I try, but the tongue... :thinking:
The Guy who called us said only ONE of the bags had popped. They thought it was rotten food. I would hope its the mushrooms bag that popped becuase i know they are pretty hardy.

zanoshanox

I got an 8" Green Bubble coral off of e--- and it came with pretty much no water in the bag, a little moisture but not much water in the bag. It looked terrible the first day but in the morning i woke up to a coral that looked more beautiful than in the pictures. 100% recovery.