How long should lights be on

flower

Originally Posted by drsteve2001
http:///forum/post/3197688
I have a 250w MH with 8 blue leds on it, on a 54 gallon corner tank. How long should i be runnng MH and blue leds?

12 hours of daylight, and 12 hours of night. You can break up the time MHs are on with actinic lights, any way you want. Blue LEDs ...

spanko

Another consideration would be the heating of the tank due to the metal halide. You can get away with 8 hours and less of daylight and still supply your tank with enough light for coral and critters. What fixture is it that you have?

drsteve2001

don't laugh i bought it before i read neg reviews...the odyessa 250watt with 2x4 LEDS...the wife could justify 100 bucks not 300 but that sucker is bright...before i had just 1 18w actnic and one 18w 10000k=36w. So far no problems, my temp was been getting up to 80 though is that to high? that is on a 8 hr burn of the mh. Also if i leave MH on for 8 how ong on the blue? ouple hrs in am and then couple in pm?

keith gray

Word for the wise. get timers. I have mine set for actinic to run about 10 hours a day and the white come on 30 mins before and go off 30 mins after.
I use to run them longer but I keep alage down some by not runnin them as long

usmcpfc

ok since were on the subject could you guys help me out too
2 400 w mh 10k
2 96 w 36 inch 14k t-5
2 96 w actinic
how long each should i run these?

spanko

Again to me it really depends on what effect the lighting has on temperature in your tank but if it does nothing to temp I suggest;
2 96 w actinic 12 hours
2 96 w 36 inch 14k t-5 come on one hour after actinics and run 10 hours
2 400 w mh 10k come on one hour after 14k T5s and run 8 hours.
So the cycle looks like actinics come on, one hour later 14ks come on one hour later MHs come on then after 8 hours MH goes off, one hour later 14k T5s go off, one hour later actinics go off.

bswe22

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3198412
Again to me it really depends on what effect the lighting has on temperature in your tank but if it does nothing to temp I suggest;
2 96 w actinic 12 hours
2 96 w 36 inch 14k t-5 come on one hour after actinics and run 10 hours
2 400 w mh 10k come on one hour after 14k T5s and run 8 hours.
So the cycle looks like actinics come on, one hour later 14ks come on one hour later MHs come on then after 8 hours MH goes off, one hour later 14k T5s go off, one hour later actinics go off.
That would make a great sunrise and sunset affect.

geoj

I am now running one 250w XMs 15k MH 5 hours a day with four 1w 460nm LEDs ran 8-10 hours a day. And I am getting some good growth out of some SPS.