How to catch vandals?

angler man

I have a couple douche bag monsters roaming through the neighborhood vandalizing my neighbors homes and has kicked a bunch of planks out of my fence. So far they have keyed a truck, busted out a car window and now hit my place twice.
They now went back to the truck and keyed F U.
The 26th was the first time, last night was the second time.
Sometimes I am up really late with the work I do, I was up until 1:30 AM and heard nothing. Kicking out a new planks of wood would be very audible especially being close to the fence. It must have happened later.
Any ideas besides getting a Pitbull that eats kids?

posiden

Video cameras. Place them high and do it with out any one knowing. Short of staying up late with a can of woop a$$ in your hand everynight, I don't see how. Plus, the tape or digital recording is evidence.

bender77

You could buy one of those game camera's at walmart that take pictures every 15 seconds when there is motion and see if you can get some shots for the police

meowzer

Originally Posted by bender77
http:///forum/post/3150394
You could buy one of those game camera's at walmart that take pictures every 15 seconds when there is motion and see if you can get some shots for the police
LOL...we have one of them too.....but the good ones without flash are kinda pricey.....the one we have now has a flash, so IMO it's worthless at night to a criminal

angler man

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3150396
YEAH...Go to Sportsmanguide.com
I just ordered one for $48....it has a 5" B & W TV, one video eye thing, and will hook up to a vcr....
I figured for under $50 how could you go wrong....
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=535776
This seems like a good suggestion. Thank you. If only stupid kids knew how expensive the damage they cause is. The fence planks aren't that expensive, but if I could catch these kids in the act maybe my neighbor could get some restitution for his truck getting keyed twice.

aquaknight

220 volt electrified wire. The type used for retaining cattle, etc. Run it in your yard about shin high. Any small critters will run underneath and about perfect for them not to see/come in contact to an exposed area. Run a timer for the late hours....

reefraff

You need two of those cameras with the flash. Hopefully one will get a shot of the look on their faces once they realize they just had their picture taken vandalizing property.
A couple years ago we had a big snow and some creep decided to rip a couple planks out of my fence. It was Christmas time and we had rope lights woven in the fence pickets. The guy, rather than reach over another 4" to unplug it cut the light to rip out the pickets. I know exactly who did it and it happened in the middle of the day. Hispanic looking douche with a white car that was stuck in the snow on the corner by my house. I actually saw the guy out there digging the car out and even watched him drive it away. I didn't notice the missing pickets until the next day when I went out to see why the section of lights weren't working. Sure enough they were laying in the street in the snow where the car had been stuck.
It's one thing to be vandalized. It's another to actually watch the guy doing it but not knowing it at the time.

angler man

I'll never understand why people do this kind of stuff. Last year we put up this beautiful pressure treated pine fence and only a month had gone by and it was tagged. I didn't get to it soon enough before another wannabe gang kid retaliated and painted his stupid crap on it as well. My neighborhood is pretty new, but a couple streets down it gets rough. I think I'm getting to the point of wanting to sit outside with a taser and tase those little b@stards right in the nuts.

aquaknight

Losers who vandalize, rank really near the bottom scum of the earth for me. It's such a lowlife thing to do, they don't have the 'huevos' to commit a real crime, so they tag someone's property they know the chances of getting caught are really low. They really should have the hell tazed out of them. The only thing is, given your proximity, it might be one of those 'mess with the bee, get the hive' ordeals.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
These days, when you are looking to either buy or rent a home, No. 1 consideration is where is it located in relationship to "bad neighborhoods", crime rate, theft, vandalism, breaking and entering, home invasion stats in that area, etc.
When I was looking to buy a house a few years ago, I saw a house I really liked. Brand new, never lived in, wood floors, big yard, nice kitchen--perfect. I looked around the neighborhood and felt is was questionable to say the least and passed.

angler man

We have been here 9 years and this year has been the first year with any issues. We just lowered our deductible on our car from 500 to 100 to weather the storm. Running a saltwater tank is expensive enough let alone replacing something like a 500 dollar windshield!

meowzer

Angler....My camera from sportsman guide should be here the 12th...after we get it hooked up, I'll let you know what I think of it.

kingsmith

If you can Take a day or two off sleep all day then wait up all night, then you have many choices scarring them IDing them or following them home for revenge, dont expect to hear much you can break car windows with no sound, just be careful, though it just sounds like some drunken youths, still be careful don't want to run into the wrong people.

alyssia

Originally Posted by Angler man
http:///forum/post/3150567
I'll never understand why people do this kind of stuff. Last year we put up this beautiful pressure treated pine fence and only a month had gone by and it was tagged. I didn't get to it soon enough before another wannabe gang kid retaliated and painted his stupid crap on it as well. My neighborhood is pretty new, but a couple streets down it gets rough. I think I'm getting to the point of wanting to sit outside with a taser and tase those little b@stards right in the nuts.

fishtaco

The only problem with a game camera with a flash is they will see the flash and you are going to be out the cost of the camera. Not sure what the winning answer is unless the police can actually catch them in the act. Just catching them and confronting the parents? Well I am willing to be the acorn has not fallen to far from tree and it would just make things worse.
Fishtaco

zeroc0o0l

Motion activated sprinklers.......ull def be able to pick them out if they are dripping wet. Not sure if cameras are the way to go.... they will still do damaged before they get caught.
There are all kinda animals smells you can put out. Also there are sounds that only younger teens can hear. I have an app on my phone that does this but you might be able to find something like that to put on at night.

zman1

Move or promote big local government tax dollar sponsored Police and Fire departments...