Lemon peel angel

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubeck http:///t/391091/lemon-peel-angel#post_3466630
Anyone have any success having one of these in a small reef tank ? 30 gal sps setup
They need lots of rocks that they can swin in and out of...they are great little bright colored fish, 30g is plenty of room. My favorite fish next to the seahorse. Some Lemonpeels nip coral and some don't...it is up to each fish and you take your chances.

lubeck

Thanks flower. You've seen my tank right? I've got tons of rock. So does yours nip at your coral? What type of corals do they nip at?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/391091/lemon-peel-angel#post_3466696
I like lemonpeels. However, I read that they grow up to 6". Is that still a great fish for a 30g flower?
I have never seen a lemonpeel nor any other dwarf angel to grow to 6 inches in my life. I have kept angels for the most part of my time in the hobby. 4.5 is the largest my lemonpeels ever got over a period of 5 years and I feed my fish....not like those who fed only once every other day afraid of algae outbreaks. My book says 5 inches in the ocean for maximum size. And the same book says 30g is the smallest tank they can go in.
Lubeck,
I have never had any dwarf angel eat my coral, the books say they do. I did have a Hippo tang that feasted on Xenia..nipped the heads right off. My book says thye may nip at LPS...if a fish nips at LPS, it will nip any coral...JMO

lubeck

Thanks flower. After your post yestarday I called my LFS and they had one juvenile lemon peel angel left I asked them to hold it for me. I got as close as them trying to scoop him up for me to take home and I asked a random question and then the owner chimed in to say a guy hadit for 5 weeks and brought it back cause it was a nipper. I was so bumed. I ended up getting 3 chromis instead because my daughter had to get something to take home. Now I only have room for 1 fish if I'm lucky. What shall it be?

S

siptang

I want one too... however already have 2 angel fish... i need to lay a trap for my bi color angel fish... I would rather have a coral beauty or a lemon peel...

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubeck http:///t/391091/lemon-peel-angel#post_3466720
Thanks flower. After your post yestarday I called my LFS and they had one juvenile lemon peel angel left I asked them to hold it for me. I got as close as them trying to scoop him up for me to take home and I asked a random question and then the owner chimed in to say a guy hadit for 5 weeks and brought it back cause it was a nipper. I was so bumed. I ended up getting 3 chromis instead because my daughter had to get something to take home. Now I only have room for 1 fish if I'm lucky. What shall it be?
Orchid dottybacks are beautiful, you can only have one, no Royal Gramma can be with it either. But it's a lovely reef safe fish. 3 inches max in size.

lubeck

I still want to get some type of dwarf angel but most of all a mandarin goby in another four months.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubeck http:///t/391091/lemon-peel-angel#post_3466802
I still want to get some type of dwarf angel but most of all a mandarin goby in another four months.
They are an awesome fish! Unless you have a refugium and a well established population (impossible in a few months) of copepods, you won't have enough to keep a mandarin alive and healthy. I also always wanted one too...but I couldn't get my refugium to breed anything but amphipods. I seeded it three Xs. So work on that, and when you have a good population... get the mandarin...but not until.

lubeck

Right. It will be over 6 months and then I will reassess I put a post up a week ago and bang said amphipods are def on the menu. I have 100's crawling around right now. I do have A 20 gal fugue with lr and chaeto

S

siptang

Man... just saw the MOST awesome mandarin this sunday in my new friend's tank...
he does not have any pods but that mandarin will eat ANYTHING that you put in the tank. He ate pellets, frozen gut loaded brine and even same type of mysis!! How crazy is that???
He said that he had him for 2 years now and he looks fat and healthy. I wish I can find one that will accept pellets and other form of foods easily sigh...

S

siptang

Nope, he bought it for $15 and it took a bit to eat the pellets but it does. :/