Lime Green Colors on rocks?

Very simple question, a couple rocks are getting some lime green coloration. It must be some kind of algae but I've never seen it. I don't know how else to describe it but it's not hairy it's a very thin layer on a couple rocks. I have read somewhere before that there is a green algae that is very bad and i'm hoping I don't have it. It doesn't appear to have any affect on anything and doesn't seem to be spreading at all or atleast very slowly. RO/DI water is only used and all tests were straight. I also have another observation of some small white kinda fuzzy balls on my rocks. Look like small urchins or something...what are these? I also found aptasia this week so I'm going to get some peppermint shrimp tommorrow. Maybe all these things are linked together? But hopefully the green stuff isn't bad cause it is pretty. Man what a week, I need a drink.

gmann1139

I'll try to be the optimist here.
Coraline does come in lime green. Search around, see if you can find any pictures to compare.
It would like like some painted a layer of lime-green nail polish on the rock.
If its not that, not sure what it is. Can you compare its appearance to anything else?
Fuzzy balls could be Q-tip sponges, harmless.
Sounds like you have some rock that's heavy on the Live. Not a really bad thing, but it can make things interesting for the first couple weeks.

You know it does look like a coraline kind of algae, and it has been there for a couple weeks and no bad affects so that would be pretty sweet if it is hopefully someone can confirm. And only after you said that did I realize it is growing only on a group of rocks that I purchased separate from all the rest. It is incredible rock and I believe it's from Malaysia? I have to ask the guy I bought it from but he said that the place it is from is closed to harvesting it for the next 7 years so I thought it was pretty sweet. And you are right they are like little q-tips or sponges so that makes me happy they are harmless but will they multiply? I can sleep better now thanks to you qmann!! Now hopefully I can get the aptasia stopped before it gets bad.

maryg

Originally Posted by reefaholic33
http:///forum/post/2918071
Very simple question, a couple rocks are getting some lime green coloration. It must be some kind of algae but I've never seen it. I don't know how else to describe it but it's not hairy it's a very thin layer on a couple rocks. I have read somewhere before that there is a green algae that is very bad and i'm hoping I don't have it. It doesn't appear to have any affect on anything and doesn't seem to be spreading at all or atleast very slowly. RO/DI water is only used and all tests were straight. I also have another observation of some small white kinda fuzzy balls on my rocks. Look like small urchins or something...what are these? I also found aptasia this week so I'm going to get some peppermint shrimp tommorrow. Maybe all these things are linked together? But hopefully the green stuff isn't bad cause it is pretty. Man what a week, I need a drink.

The bright green algae on your rocks could be from the rock getting used to your lights. Maybe your lighting is stronger than what was used at the LFS to hold them. You might even try cutting back on the amount of time you leave your lights on.
The fuzzy balls are probably just sponges. I got a ton of them on my LR. I would start with the Peppermint shrimp for those anenomes. If you do not notice an improvement within a week I would definitely nuke em with Joe's Juice they can spread very fast and do not try to pick them or pry them off. They will spore and spread even faster. You are on the right track. Just enjoy.

Maryg I think your theory sounds solid....the live rock was in a qt and didn't have any lights on it. So I am glad and enjoy the color. And yes I'm getting peppermint shrimp tommorrow! I can only find like 8 of them but I'm sure there is some I can't see but still I think it's mild at this point.

pbnj

Does it look like this? If it does, it's green coralline algae. I really only have one purple coralline rock with specks of purple on the others. Almost all of my coralline algae is green. I like it...it's different.

IT IS! IT IS THAT EXACT COLOR AND TEXTURE...that is it I am so happy. Thank you so much for taking the time to post those pictures and put this to rest for me. I love it it is different and offset's all the purple coraline. Your tank is friggin sweet!

pbnj

I've noticed that the intensity of the green on my rocks has decreased since these pictures and I'm definitely seeing more shades of red developing.