LT anemone

kaylafish

I have a 55 gallon tank with one clown, and angel and one damsel. However lately, my anemone seems to be shrinking. I just changed the light bulb (135 wat compact light). The water condition are fine. I was wondering what else could be causing the anemone to shrink. I feed it about once every two week either phyoplakton or squid. The anemone has been in the tank since thanksgiving and the tank has been set-up for about two years.

T

thomas712

I believe your lighting is too week for an LTA. This lighting only gives you 2.45 watts per gallon. I addition you will need stronger lighting to reach the bottom of the tank where the LTA will normally place its foot in the sand substrate.
VHO and PC lighting looses its useable lighting, within 12-16 inches of water column. In other words it gets weeker the lower it goes.
My opinion is that you need at least 5 or 6 watts per gallon for an LTA, MH would be prefered.
I tried years ago to keep a BTA alive with only 80 watts of lighting and the same thing you are experiencing was happening. It shrunk down to the size of a golf ball, when I added 380 watts of VHO it grew to the size of a softball, then split.
Thomas

texasstone5

Maybe you could feed it a little more. I've kept anemoneas for many years, and find that they do better if you feed them more rather than less. I feed my anemoneas shrimp a couple of times a week. However, those anemoneas are from a Texas jetty, and not LTAs.
Thomas712s suggestion regarding more light should probably be followed as well.