my margarita snail is crawling above the water level. normal?

neupane00

hey guys. my margarita snail is crawling above the water level. is that normal? can they breathe outside water?? does this mean there is a chance it will some day get outside of my tank???

drtito

Do you think they went above the water line for food on the glass or are they getting away from a new addition ?
Also do they go back by themsleves or you push them back in ?

neupane00

hi, they are just crawling up and up and eventually out of water line and then out of the aquarium. Dont they suffocate outside water? is this normal behavior? i am not liking it.

jordan3548

I have some snails I dont know what kind at the moment and they always go above the water line and they crawl down by themselves. If you ever go to the beach look at low tide youll see alot of snails out of the water on the rock wall and they all seem to survive

cranberry

They are an intertidal cold water snail. We shorten their lifespan tremendously when we place them in our warm tanks. The intertidal part means they will try to "escape" all the time.... it's just their nature. They are trying to get to the next tide pool.

brokendeck

Originally Posted by jordan3548
http:///forum/post/3070420
I have some snails I dont know what kind at the moment and they always go above the water line and they crawl down by themselves. If you ever go to the beach look at low tide youll see alot of snails out of the water on the rock wall and they all seem to survive
My snails do this to, they also go back down to the bottom when I feed my tank! Alot of the snails, when I feed the tank, just fall from the top to get to the bottom. Its funny to watch!

Its normal neupane00. Nothing to worry about.

brokendeck

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3072009
They are an intertidal cold water snail. We shorten their lifespan tremendously when we place them in our warm tanks. The intertidal part means they will try to "escape" all the time.... it's just their nature. They are trying to get to the next tide pool.
Cranberry. Does this also apply to Nassarius Snails as well?

cranberry

I've never had nassarius escape. I've had the rough shelled nerites escape

but not the smooth shelled ones.

If y'all have escape artists, post a pic so we can see which they are.