New blue tang wont eat...:(

J

jacob_poly

Hi All,
Got a blue Tang from teh LFS. Is about 2 inches. I have him in a quarantine tank. But he wont eat anything. I have tried formlaOne, Two, algae strips, brine shrimp, etc. Have even coated them with Garlic and selcon. But the dude wont eat. Has been two days now. He has found this spot behind the heater and stays there. He wont come out from the only hiding spot in the tank. What must I do to get him to eat?
Jake.

chandler04

He needs something decorative to hide in, cuz he needs some sense of security. Also, it is a fragile fish and totally stressed obviously, so dont be surprised if he is dead soon. You definitely need something for him to hide in. Even though it is a QT, that is just like u getting stuck in a padded room with nowhere to go, ya know?

pufferman

it's going to take a while your tang to settle down.....they're very nervous fish especially when they are young.....do you what they love most in LFS? an empty barnacle shell.....if you have competitive/aggressive tankmates, your hippo wouldn't be able to acclimatize to a new environment as quickly as it would've been by himself or else.....try to make him feel at home....

yaoming713

i have the same problem with my hippo tang...he's about 3 inches..i saw him at a LFS not eating so i try to rescue him...made a deal with the owner for $20 i said he's in a bad shape so 20 bucks is all im willing to pay to rescue the little guy...he wasnt eating then and he hasnt eaten now..ive tried live/frozen brine, mysis, flake. He's about and explore when he feels safe but hides most of the time

J

jacob_poly

I spied my Tang take a nibble at some seaweed. I have some seaweed on a clip close to where he hides. So when hes hungry he takes a few quick bites. The idea I am trying is to position the clip further and further away each day. Want to help him overcome his shyness by venturing out to the clip and getting food. Is an experiment I will have to do.

frozenice

Sounds like a good idea jacob, i bought a sailfin around march adn the first day he didnt eat, after a week he got covered in that fungus and then got better and hes still alive and healthy in my tank
-The End-

J

jacob_poly

ok, my experiment has been working well. The tang has been venturing further and further out to eat. That is encouraging. After hes eaten though he retreats back into his hiding place. But atleast I know that hes eating and is well.

wid

if all things doesn't work, just put some LR that have algea in the QT, it help my coral beauty to start eating in the QT. (of course, the LR is in QT for good, not going back to main) and i also noticed that in the QT has enought light, the LR will grow algea even under hypo.
Wid

angelofish

I dont like the idea of it being close to the heater.
Try putting in some more decorations or fake plants so he can have more options. Glad to hear that its eating.

frozenice

i thought it was going to die after i heard it was hiding behind the heater. All of the fish ive had that have gone behind the heater are dead
But im getting over it:)

J

jacob_poly

Its been doing good so far. The heater comes on very infrequently because its summer now. And anyways I am transferring the fish to the main tank at the end of this week. Hes been in there for the past 9 days and hasn't shown any signs of being affected by the heater. 5 more days and he will be in the new tank.

J

jacob_poly

ok I added the shy Tang to the main tank today.... a couple of days earlier than planned. He was for about 10 days in quarantine. I inspected his skin and there was no signs that would betray illness. Well after I added him to the main tank he played peek-a-boo for about 15 minutes behind a rock, while the other inmates cautiously observed him. But after that it was as if the ice had broken. He came out and ever since has not gone into hiding. Its amazing how he has shed his inhibitions. I am thrilled....!!!
Jake.

J

jacob_poly

ok....the Blue Tang today seems to have a white spot on one side of his body. Its not Ick because I have seen ick spots before and they are more finer. This one is a solitary 3 mm diameter circular spot (actually a little oblong). The Tang seems to be staying more at a corner of the tank. Any idea what this could be? Should I put him back in the quarantine tank? It doesn't look like an injury. But I cant be sure. The other inhabitants on teh tank are 2 tomato clowns, 5 green chromis, 1 blenny, 1 neon goby, a plate coral and a xenia. Theres about 85 lbs of live rock in there. Before I took him back into quarantine I wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem.
Jake....