Reducing Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate

Originally Posted by hot883
How can you honestly believe that ordering that many fish was do-able/feasible/smart/not going to make your tank crash? :notsure:

I guess it's called being "new to the hobby," "being stupid," "under-educated," "thinking a 90 tank would hold about 30 or so fish," "using the new stuff that cycles your tank in 24 hours," and the list goes on, and on, and on.
I read another post on here that said the 24 hours cycling is ridiculous. I learned that today also.
By the way...what doe troll mean....I have been called that numerous times.
Thanks, Kim

alyssia

Originally Posted by SCsaltywater
I guess it's called being "new to the hobby," "being stupid," "under-educated," "thinking a 90 tank would hold about 30 or so fish," "using the new stuff that cycles your tank in 24 hours," and the list goes on, and on, and on.
I read another post on here that said the 24 hours cycling is ridiculous. I learned that today also.
By the way...what doe troll mean....I have been called that numerous times.
Thanks, Kim

A troll is someone who comes on here only to cause trouble

alyssia

This order (out of 4 total orders) was already in the processing stage. I wish it was in the in the pending stage. This was my first order. The other 3 were still in the pending stage. I didn't place all the orders on one order number.
Thanks again

Just out of curiousity, why did you make 4 orders instead of 1?

Originally Posted by alyssia
Just out of curiousity, why did you make 4 orders instead of 1?

Well, once again, out of my stupidity, I kept on looking on here for several days and each time placed a new order. I know, I know, I know....dumb.

I'm really not trying to cause any trouble. I'm really and honestly not trying to do that. I wish people would understand that I know I made a huge error, and I'm only trying to correct it the best way I know how which is by getting feedback on this forum. All of my current fish, seem to be doing fine. I guess I all need to know now is there any OTC products I can buy to reduce my levels...once again, they are not off the charts, but at the first stage of being elevated.

ophiura

Many of your fish will be inappropriate for an ESTABLISHED 90g tank. Corals as well, are not a good choice for such a young tank and with your lighting.
In short, they will almost certainly die.
If you are serious, not a troll, and can't stop the order...
Then contact reef clubs in your area by researching this list
http://www.masna.org/members/clubs.php
Sell the fish, have people hold the fish or something.
I shouldn't post that link, but it is probably your only hope to avoid killing a lot of animals.

Originally Posted by ophiura
Many of your fish will be inappropriate for an ESTABLISHED 90g tank. Corals as well, are not a good choice for such a young tank and with your lighting.
In short, they will almost certainly die.
If you are serious, not a troll, and can't stop the order...
Then contact reef clubs in your area by researching this list
http://www.masna.org/members/clubs.php
Sell the fish, have people hold the fish or something.
I shouldn't post that link, but it is probably your only hope to avoid killing a lot of animals.

Thank you so much for that. I really do appreciate it. Any other suggestions would be great. I will try not to bother you guys anymore, as I see I already have a bad reputation on this forum but it's because of my own fault. I will still check it regularly....on the way to an appt right now...will be back in 2 hours to check for any updates.
Thanks again Kim

ophiura

THese are the biggest, riskiest problems, BTW:
Pink Tip Haitian Anemone Coral - needs better light, pristine water quality
Lyretail Anthias - DELICATE - established tank
Lyretail Anthias - DELICATE - established tank
Powder Blue Tang Fish - EXCEEDINGLY DELICATE - not for a 90g, even if established, IMO
Naso Tang Fish - HUGE fish - definitely not suitable for a 90g tank
Bluehead Wrasse Fish - NOT REEF SAFE - will eat snails, shrimp, etc
Hawaiian Blue Puffer Fish - needs more established tank

shogun323

Thank you so much for that. I really do appreciate it. Any other suggestions would be great. I will try not to bother you guys anymore, as I see I already have a bad reputation on this forum but it's because of my own fault. I will still check it regularly....on the way to an appt right now...will be back in 2 hours to check for any updates.
Thanks again Kim
Kim, I believe I can probably speak for everyone to say that we are glad to help you. We all assumed that are here to cause trouble because your circumstance sounds unbelievable. That being said, I would take all of the advice that has been given and follow it. There are definately some reputable people advising you in this thread. I would first purchase a book called The conscientous marine aquariast by Robert Fenner and take time to read and learn. Also, read through these forums and ask as many questions as possible here. Research is key in this hobby. If you are concerned about your reputation due to this thread, I see no harm in creating a new user name and starting over. Best of Luck!!!

hot883

Kim, alot of great advice has been given.
No more bashing or flaming !!
I would ensure that you have plenty of water mixed up and ready to go for water changes; this is how:
1.Buy a brand new rubbermaid style container the bigger the better (wrap duct tape around the sides to keep it from bowing out).
2. Place a small heater and powerhead in there for circulation and heating.
3. use only R/O water or dionized water, following the directions on saltwater tank sea salt ie. Oceanic, Instant Ocean etc.(usually 1/2 cup of salt to 1 gallon of water)
4. The new salt water MUST aerate and mixed for 24 hours before use to stabilize it. Cannot dump salt into tank and add water.
5. As soon as you have water ready to go, start changing. No more than 25 or so percent at a time. Do that every day.
Good luck.

thanks to all of you who have forgiven me. And special thanks to those whom are now giving me MORE good advice on ways around this issue without bashing me so much. I will do as instructed, and hopefully everything will turn out for the best.
One last question:
Should I buy some over-the-counter products to reduce the levels of nitrite, nitrate, and ammonia? Again, they are not off the charts, but one level up of being in the acceptable range.
Thanks again...Kim

1journeyman

Kim, they do make some products that supposedly "bind" ammonia. They may help, but nothing is better than water changes.
No need to apologize. Many people around here are very passionate about the hobby and unfortunately occasionally (has happened a lot recently) someone will come onto the boards and cause trouble. As soon as you spend some time around here you'll understand.

You''re not bothering us! Please keep posting. If a new aquarist comes here for help and quits posting then we have failed you and should apologize. Not the other way around.
You messed up; we've all done that. Heck, even professional aquariums mess up. The important thing to do now is make sure your tank gets set up the right way and you get the right fish/corals/inverts so that you can enjoy the hobby.
The major concern, as I'm sure you are seeing, is that when you add live rock to your tank there is going to be a large ammonia spike (this is caused by the die off from the rock being out of the water as it is shipped to you). Over time bacteria in your tank will feed on the ammonia and break it down (that's what the "cycle" is... your tank growing a large enough population of bacteria to sustain life without allowing a toxic build up of ammonia)
Welcome to forum, btw.

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Kim, they do make some products that supposedly "bind" ammonia. They may help, but nothing is better than water changes.
No need to apologize. Many people around here are very passionate about the hobby and unfortunately occasionally (has happened a lot recently) someone will come onto the boards and cause trouble. As soon as you spend some time around here you'll understand.

You''re not bothering us! Please keep posting. If a new aquarist comes here for help and quits posting then we have failed you and should apologize. Not the other way around.
You messed up; we've all done that. Heck, even professional aquariums mess up. The important thing to do now is make sure your tank gets set up the right way and you get the right fish/corals/inverts so that you can enjoy the hobby.
The major concern, as I'm sure you are seeing, is that when you add live rock to your tank there is going to be a large ammonia spike (this is caused by the die off from the rock being out of the water as it is shipped to you). Over time bacteria in your tank will feed on the ammonia and break it down (that's what the "cycle" is... your tank growing a large enough population of bacteria to sustain life without allowing a toxic build up of ammonia)
Welcome to forum, btw.
Thank you for your understanding and the welcoming. I will look on the internet to see if I can find the product you are talking about. With the way my luck is going, I probably won't have any success in finding a product like that.

1journeyman

Thank you for your understanding and the welcoming. I will look on the internet to see if I can find the product you are talking about. With the way my luck is going, I probably won't have any success in finding a product like that.

Look for something like "Ammonia Detox" by Kent. I've never used it myself...
Like I said, and Hot posted too, water changes are going to be your best friend for the next month. I usually use a new, clean plastic trash can for large water changes. Keep it aerated with a powerhead on in it. Buy a bucket or two of salt and a couple of buckets to buy RO/DI water from your pet store until you get your own RO/DI water purifier installed.

sebae09

quick ? for you guys, if you constantly put something like amquel(ammonia detox) in the tank can you prevent a cycle? theoreticly it would work but thats just theory. that might buy some time to get rid of the fish.

fbm

You will find that even though you have made the wrong first impression you have more than made up for it and then some by showing everyone that you care. And that means the most to people here. You don't realize it yet but you have made a lot of valuable friends. Just my opinion.

alyssia

Originally Posted by sebae09
quick ? for you guys, if you constantly put something like amquel(ammonia detox) in the tank can you prevent a cycle? theoreticly it would work but thats just theory. that might buy some time to get rid of the fish.

You'll still have trites. Plus, doesn't amquel just make the ammonia less lethal? I don't think it gets rid of the ammonia.

fbm

Seems to me that way back when, about 15 years ago I set up my first freshwater tank. I seriously overstocked it and the fish didn't look real healthy at all. Went to a real fish store and my ammonia was super high, I used amquel and they all survived. However freshwater is more forgiving than saltwater and this seems to be the way I remember it.

Originally Posted by fbm
You will find that even though you have made the wrong first impression you have more than made up for it and then some by showing everyone that you care. And that means the most to people here. You don't realize it yet but you have made a lot of valuable friends. Just my opinion.

Thank you for your kind words fbm. The fish are set to arrive tomorrow. We will see how it all goes. I'm hoping and praying for the best. It's 4:07 am here on the east coast, and I can't get any sleep because of what I did. If they don't survive, I'm going to feel even worse, and horrible for the fish. The livestock did not deserve what I just did to them with the order placing "frenzy." Living HEALTHY
livestock is more important than money is right now to me. I'll let you know how it all works out.
PS...I did order some Amquel plus, and I'm having it shipped here overnight. It will be here by Wednesday. I told them I didn't care about the cost of airfreight. The fedex truck is going to be here at 10:30 this morning...I know I have my work cut out for me, but I will try to post something tomorrow under this same topic.
Thanks again everyone. And once again, I apologize for error/stupidity on my part, and for you guys really thinking I was a "troll." Kim