Refugium startup kits ?????

teresaq

I not sure which would be best?? I am adding a small refugium for now, and upgrading in about 6 mo once my tank is up and going good. (have to buy my lights first)
Kit A::::::
REFUGIUM BOOSTER MIX
This Algae Booster Package with Detritivores consists of macros, marine plants and useful detritivores. It will filter nutrients from your water and feed your tank at the same time. Detritivores breed within the algae and get pumped into your main tank. It is great for new smaller refugiums or for "adding life" to an existing refugium.
Sm. Package contains;
1/4 lb. Caulerpa prolifera{Nutrient export}
3 Shoal Grass plants{Nutrient export}
1/2 portion Gracilaria(3"x4"){Nutrient export, food}
12 Nassarius obsoletus snails{Algae eaters, detritivores}
10 Nassarius vibex snails{detritivores}
2 portions O'pods{Detritivores, food}
Small Package $37.00
Kit B::::::::::
REFUGIUM STARTER MIX
This Starter Package consists of macros, marine plants and useful detritivores. It will filter nutrients from your water and feed your tank at the same time. This mix contains MACROMAT; which is a combination of Caulerpa prolifera and Shoal or Manatee grass collected and shipped with its own substrate. Live substrate will contain some Sand Worms, Sand Burrowing Brittle Stars, and some 'Pods. You may also receive some Mud Crabs or Porcelain Crabs.
MACROMAT should be added to the refugium slowly. Pumps should be turned off until substrate settles.
Sm. Package contains;
1 sm. MACROMAT(4"x6"){Nutrient export, bio-filtration}
2 portions O'pods{Detritivores, food}
12 Nassarius obsoletus snails{Algae eaters, detritivores}
10 Nassarius vibex snails{detritivores}
Small Package $34.00

mudplayerx

As long as your pump doesn't utilize an impeller, than the statement is accurate. If it does use an impeller, then odds are any microbe in the water that would be large enough to be useful would be killed on transition to the main tank (I think).
All the plants and algae will definately help to remove excess nutrients and nitrates. I'm not very familiar with fuge's, so I do not know if lighting is synonymous with them. If not, you will need lighting to keep the plants healthy.

mudplayerx

One is designated as a starter kit, and one is designated as a booster kit.
In my opinion, if you are starting with a bare fuge, go with the starter kit.

jdm_ae86

if you want to save money, go buy some live rock/rubble, and live sand from another reefkeeper's established refugiums or tanks..i guarantee youll get most (besides the macroalgaes) if not all of the things you listed above..the pieces probably wont look the nicest, but itll have all the critters you need..