Snail Species (Photos and Descriptions)

fishstix4u

long over due.. thanks... just one question.. can you maybe add a snail... i dont know what it is.. but i have about a 100 of them.. there small black shell the snail it self is a transparent goo with black specks and a hose sticking up in front... got them for 14 bucks shipped to my door.. there was about 80 or so in the shipment.. i see them in others peoples tanks and always wondered what they exactly are.. great cleaners and very friendly...

crox

Thanks. And what about the orange turbo snail? Are they the same as the other turbos?

jayc

Sweet thread Mud!!! Learned alot, didnt know that worm snail was the name of them little things that are all over my tank.
-Josh

mudplayerx

Thanks guys, I love when people say my threads are useful!
As far as the orange turbo snails, I have never heard of them. Is it possible that the snail is just covered with orange calcareous algae?

crox

The sell them at the big auction site. I got 2 of them at my lfs but it looks like they are losing color. I am a little upset because I spent $15 for the two.

S

scoobs

Originally Posted by Crox
Thanks. And what about the orange turbo snail? Are they the same as the other turbos?
spray paint

dejaco

Very nice thread, I like inormational ones. Question however; you stated hermits eat the nassarius snails. I have the ones called Super Tongan (which I thought were just large Nassarius Snails) and have never seen the problem. So are the Super tongan just too large for the hermits to mess with?

kpk

Abalone's get that big? Are there any smaller versions? They breed like rabits in my tank. I also have stomatella and another grazer (will get a pic for ID).

poop_head

I got a pair of those orange snails. I asked for Nass. snails and thats what they gave me. I only paid $4 for both. I guess I got a deal then.

mudplayerx

STROMATELLA (Stomatella varia)
Family: Trochidae Stomatellinae
Range: Indo-Pacific, Mediterranean, Red Sea
Size: Up to 3/4" inch
Diet: Microalgae
Reef Safe: Yes
Temperature: : 64 - 75ºF
Specific Gravity: 1.023 - 1.026
pH: 8.1 - 8.4
Care Level: Easy
Notes
This snail looks like a cross between a snail and a slug. They are relatively small and much flatter-looking than most snails. While active both day and night, they tend to be much more difficult to spot with the lights on. A good method to see if you have these snails is to use a flashlight at night.
These snails are beneficial scavengers of microalgae. They may occasionally breed by releasing eggs and sperm into the water. This can cloud the water for a brief period, but is harmless.

whitey_028

Can someone add a pic and description of zebra snails also? This is a very helpful and informational thread by the way. Great Job!

maxsmart

I bought some snails labelled as "black snails" from a clueless LFS. I will try to catch one and post a picture, but they are black with round shells, some of them have a chrome spot on top. They are very cute and eat 24 hours a day, though they tend to leave swirl patterns on the glass rather than clean-sweeping it. I would really like to identify them and learn more about them - they were my first livestock purchase when I started my tank, but I guess I lucked out they weren't harmful since that store couldn't identify ANYTHING right.

krazekajin

About the WORM SNAILS (Vermetid):
I have one big one that is making my 29g tank look ugly. I was thinking about blasting its tube with boiling water or even joes juice. do you think that would kill them.

wax32

Originally Posted by KrazeKajin
About the WORM SNAILS (Vermetid):
I have one big one that is making my 29g tank look ugly. I was thinking about blasting its tube with boiling water or even joes juice. do you think that would kill them.
I've just smashed them with pliers before.. works well. Just make sure your pliers are clean.