The most amazing tang I have ever seen

crimzy

I honestly didn't think that there were any more fish in this hobby that I haven't seen... especially tangs. But WOW! This thing is amazing.

Has anybody ever seen one for sale in the hobby? Any information about this species?
It was called a Dussumieri tang.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by crimzy
I honestly didn't think that there were any more fish in this hobby that I haven't seen... especially tangs. But WOW! This thing is amazing.

Has anybody ever seen one for sale in the hobby? Any information about this species?
It was called a Dussumieri tang.
I saw a few of these at The Aquarium of the Americas in N.O.pre-Katrina. I looked into getting one at the time; but then Katrina wiped out my part of Mississippi. Google it, there are some for sale at good dealers now; the site I saw had them starting at about $250.

crimzy

Originally Posted by srfisher17
I saw a few of these at The Aquarium of the Americas in N.O.pre-Katrina. I looked into getting one at the time; but then Katrina wiped out my part of Mississippi. Google it, there are some for sale at good dealers now; the site I saw had them starting at about $250.
Not a bad price for a fish like this. I wonder how hardy they are...

alix2.0

Maximum Size: the Acanthurus dussumieri grows up to 14 inches.
General Size Specifications: The small size will come to you generally 1 to 2 inches; the medium generally 3 to 4 inches; the large generally 5 to 6 inches.
Minimum Tank Size: The Dussimer Tang prefers a tank of at least 100 gallons with plenty of places to hide & swim.
Diet: The Acanthurus dussumieri is a herbivore and likes to eat Dried Seaweed (best), marine algae, mysid shrimp, Spirulina, Romaine Lettuce (blanched) , fresh seaweed, and other meaty treats.
Level of Care: The Dussimer Tang is a medium maintenance fish.
Behavior: The Dussimer Tang may act peacefully toward other fish.
Hardiness: This is a moderately hardy fish
Water Conditions: Keep water quality high (SG 1.020 - 1.025, pH 8.1 - 8.4,
Temp. 72 - 78° F).
Range: Hawaii, Indo-Pacific.
General Notes: The Acanthurus Dussimeri or Dussimer Tang is one of the larger Acanthurus . As a juvenile this fishes coloration is less striking than it's attractive and brilliant adult coloration As an adult it may likely fight with other Dussimer tangs and may not likely be peaceful with most other tangs either. Well known for their voracious appetitite for algae, the Dussimer tang can grow up to 18 inches and should be housed in a tank of 150 gallons or more. This fish will arrive to you with juvenile coloration and no hump on the head as the adults have.

alix2.0

i got that information from a site that was selling the fish, so it should be taken with a grain of salt, or shot of pennicillin if you prefer, but i hope it's helpful! these are beautul fish!

clown boy

Wow, if you bought a small one of those, then let it grow to Show size, it would be a real investment. Hmmm...

nano reefer

there was this tang i saw at my LFS, i didnt ask what it was, but i called it a syracuse tang...It was dark blue with orange on the fins tail and mouth and it light blue on the bottom fions and white. It was amazing! Anyone have any idea what i am talking about?

S

smartorl

Tomorrow, I will get you photos of mine. They are neat fish, mine's tank mate is a sailfin and they are partners in crime, lol. I purchased the pair as adults when they outgrew their tank and their previous owner didn't want to upsize. I paid $200 for both, they are about seven to eight inches a piece, not a bad deal. In the posted photo, the blue is played up by the lights, the blue is much more understated in real life.

K

king_nothing_

im sorry, but to me, that thing looks CLOSE ENOUGH to a common pinfish for me to think that is way overpriced lol....I mean, the same blue-green-gold facial swirly thing that pinfish have, and pinfish are basically the bluegill of the ocean. I'de just be reminded of them every time I saw that fish in my tank, and then be reminded I spent 250 bucks on it and get depressed.
for 250 bucks, there's way cooler looking fish out there that that thing....just my opinion (obviously)

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by king_nothing_
im sorry, but to me, that thing looks CLOSE ENOUGH to a common pinfish for me to think that is way overpriced lol....I mean, the same blue-green-gold facial swirly thing that pinfish have, and pinfish are basically the bluegill of the ocean. I'de just be reminded of them every time I saw that fish in my tank, and then be reminded I spent 250 bucks on it and get depressed.
for 250 bucks, there's way cooler looking fish out there that that thing....just my opinion (obviously)
Just my opinion....that tang looks as much like a pinfish as it does a cuttlefish

Very cool fish, I saw some at the Maui Aquarium. Where did you see him Crimzy?

srfisher17

Originally Posted by alix2.0
i got that information from a site that was selling the fish, so it should be taken with a grain of salt, or shot of pennicillin if you prefer, but i hope it's helpful! these are beautul fish!
Your avitar is so distracting that I can't keep focused on your post.

alix2.0

Originally Posted by srfisher17
Your avitar is so distracting that I can't keep focused on your post.

OMFG. ill change it. i have no idea why everyone has such a freaking problem with it. i was just trying to be helpful and find some info on the fish...

srfisher17

Originally Posted by king_nothing_
This isn't even close to a pinfish, at least the onnes we could catch by the millions when I lived in the keys. Google image "common pinfish" and I think you'll agree-you don't even have to look past the dorsal fin.

mfp1016

Check out Goodwin's 600 gal SPS reef thread. I believe he has a Dussimier tang in it, maybe even two. I personally like Spotted Cheek tangs. Google them, I think they're amazing, but then again I'm rather akin to bristle-toothed tangs.

crimzy

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
Just my opinion....that tang looks as much like a pinfish as it does a cuttlefish

Very cool fish, I saw some at the Maui Aquarium. Where did you see him Crimzy?
I saw this pic on another website. Maybe the lighting and the pic brighten up the colors but if these guys really look like that then I may have to find one for my tank.

S

smartorl

Originally Posted by crimzy
I saw this pic on another website. Maybe the lighting and the pic brighten up the colors but if these guys really look like that then I may have to find one for my tank.
They really are patterned that way but the stripes are more of an irridescent blue color, they are not as striking in contrast as in the picture. Mine is pretty peaceful, the sailfin tends to bully him.