We've moved to new platform. Passwords set before 24th July, 2014 will not work. Please reset your password, follow this link if help needed.
  1. NEW! Have you heard about the Forum Featured Product? Check out all the info about exclusive forum member specials and freebies under Sales and Specials.

The Rarest Tang?

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by yearofthenick, Apr 11, 2009.

1. auroradrvr

auroradrvr New Member

I do not know of case where an Atlantic Blue Tang has ever fully converted to adult coloration in captivity.
  2. cleve_seahorse

cleve_seahorse New Member

I saw 1 today...a blue eyed tang....really pretty with blue/almost purple eyes and yellow tail....never saw one before.
  3. aquaknight

aquaknight New Member

I guess if you're patient, you can find something truly unique. There's are definitely a number of tangs are just not imported. A couple months ago, a LFS got in two Naso brevirostris which I've never, ever seen or heard about in the hobby. They were absolutely striking, a darker brown/black body with a white stripes just aft of the pectoral fins, and the brighest white tail I've ever seen. The problem is that these guys were already 12" and anything short of 500gals would be cruel....

How big of tank are we talking about? For anything six-feet and up, for an unusual but not one-in-a-million tang, the Mustard, aka Jewel Tang, Acanthurus guttatus
    gets my vote.
  4. olga21

olga21 New Member

yea, the Jewel Tang gets my vote. Also I like the Desajardi (spelling?) tang. Not the most expensive but very regal with round spots and I dont see them that often.
  5. pastor b.

pastor b. New Member

Dear hobbyists, I've seen the rarest tang of them all,its called A Powder Red tang.( Not A Powder blue ) They've been recently discovered ,and the trade hasn't even put a price on this species of fish, but when they do ,you can believe they will be costly . This Powder Red tang looks almost like the powder blue tang,but its body is and tail are red. Just when you think we've seen it all, out comes a new species of fish.
  6. redsea

redsea New Member

Originally Posted by AquaKnight

I guess if you're patient, you can find something truly unique. There's are definitely a number of tangs are just not imported. A couple months ago, a LFS got in two Naso brevirostris which I've never, ever seen or heard about in the hobby. They were absolutely striking, a darker brown/black body with a white stripes just aft of the pectoral fins, and the brighest white tail I've ever seen. The problem is that these guys were already 12" and anything short of 500gals would be cruel....

How big of tank are we talking about? For anything six-feet and up, for an unusual but not one-in-a-million tang, the Mustard, aka Jewel Tang, Acanthurus guttatus
    gets my vote.

these tangs look cool!
  7. olga21

olga21 New Member

Yea, I change my vote. Powder Red Tang
  8. yearofthenick

yearofthenick New Member

What about the Chevron Tang? They're beautiful, and supposedly hard to come by.
  9. sirromey

sirromey New Member

The Powder Red Tang was an April fools joke....haha! go back at to the page where you saw it and read its diet.....its diet is Gem Tang eggs. They have alot of people going with that April fools joke.
  10. deejeff442

deejeff442 New Member

powder red tang
    problem with the chevron it dont look nothing like that when it grows up.
  11. stdreb27

stdreb27 New Member

Originally Posted by Pastor B.

Dear hobbyists, I've seen the rarest tang of them all,its called A Powder Red tang.( Not A Powder blue ) They've been recently discovered ,and the trade hasn't even put a price on this species of fish, but when they do ,you can believe they will be costly . This Powder Red tang looks almost like the powder blue tang,but its body is and tail are red. Just when you think we've seen it all, out comes a new species of fish.

Originally Posted by SirRomey

The Powder Red Tang was an April fools joke....haha! go back at to the page where you saw it and read its diet.....its diet is Gem Tang eggs. They have alot of people going with that April fools joke.
    lol I spewed coffee over my desk reading that...
  12. regina13

regina13 Guest

This is a really cool one in a million tang!
  13. bang guy

bang guy Moderator Staff Member

Originally Posted by Pastor B.

I was wondering how many people would fall for that one
  14. littlej2455

littlej2455 New Member

My vote either goes to the Jewel tang or a Sohal Tang. I ordered a sohal from my LFS in March, and he still can't find a good one for me.
  15. fishkid13

fishkid13 New Member

16. nanomantis

nanomantis New Member

The rarest you will see in the hobby would be a black tang or a chevron tang.
  17. jackattack65

jackattack65 New Member

Gem tangs start at about 2500 while the longnose black tang run anywhere from 500 to 800