We've moved to new platform. Passwords set before 24th July, 2014 will not work. Please reset your password, follow this link if help needed.
  1. NEW! Have you heard about the Forum Featured Product? Check out all the info about exclusive forum member specials and freebies under Sales and Specials.

Water parameters for LPS

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by forddna, Jun 3, 2008.

  1. forddna

    forddna New Member

    How picky are LPS? Not as picky as SPS, right?
    Please tell me what your calcium, alk, etc levels are, how often you test, how you keep them at the levels you do, etc.
    Help me get an idea of where I need to be before I add LPS corals.
  2. mx#28

    mx#28 New Member

    Originally Posted by forddna

    How picky are LPS? Not as picky as SPS, right?
    Please tell me what your calcium, alk, etc levels are, how often you test, how you keep them at the levels you do, etc.
    Help me get an idea of where I need to be before I add LPS corals.
    Yes, most LPS are more forgiving when it comes to nutrients in the water. Nitrates should be as low as possible, but the rule of thumb with most LPS is that they are okay at up to 20ppm for the long term.
    They are stony corals, though, so will still have to keep your calcium, alkalinity, and magnessium in range (400-500 ppm, 7-12 dKH, 3X calcium level ppm - respectively) as well as other trace elements. If you maintain a good schedule of water changes, you chouldn't have to worry much about dosing.
  3. ci11337

    ci11337 New Member

    Originally Posted by MX#28

    Yes, most LPS are more forgiving when it comes to nutrients in the water. Nitrates should be as low as possible, but the rule of thumb with most LPS is that they are okay at up to 20ppm for the long term.
    They are stony corals, though, so will still have to keep your calcium, alkalinity, and magnessium in range (400-500 ppm, 7-12 dKH, 3X calcium level ppm - respectively) as well as other trace elements. If you maintain a good schedule of water changes, you chouldn't have to worry much about dosing.
    very well said
  4. fishfreek

    fishfreek New Member

    Well put!
  5. forddna

    forddna New Member

    And what are you all doing to maintain those parameters?
  6. mx#28

    mx#28 New Member

    Originally Posted by forddna

    And what are you all doing to maintain those parameters?
    As I said above, frequent water changes should be enough for you to keep everything in check. Just be sure to test for everything - if there is a deficiency somewhere, then you can add chemicals to correct it. Simpler is always better though, if you can get away with it.
  7. forddna

    forddna New Member

    So, you add chemicals? That's what I'm getting at. I don't think any salt mix is going to give you ideal parameters, is it?
  8. mx#28

    mx#28 New Member

    Originally Posted by forddna

    I don't think any salt mix is going to give you ideal parameters, is it?
    Yes, they often do. You'll have to test your water and see how it is, of course, but I suspect you won't need much of anything else.
    Nitrates can be managed by diluting them with water changes (as well as by nutrient uptake from cualerpa, anaerobic bacteria, etc). Calcium and magnessium products are readilly available and you can use something as simple as baking soda to raise pH and alkalinity.
    In my tank (which is dominated by LPS and soft corals), all I do is water changes and drip kalkwasser solution as top-off water. For quite some time, I used to not even use the kalkwasser.
    You just have to find out what you need. Is the tank already up and going? If so, what are the parameters now?
  9. ci11337

    ci11337 New Member

    I don't dose anything, i just do a water change every week and a half.
  10. forddna

    forddna New Member

    Thanks. Do you know what your calcium, mag, alk levels are? What salt mix do you use?
    When you say you don't dose anything, does that also mean you aren't using a calcium reactor or anything like that?
  11. ci11337

    ci11337 New Member

    nope, no reactor, my calc is 400 alk is nice dark blue, (my test don't have #'s ) No idea what my mag. is (never felt i needed to test it). PH was 8.6 last time i checked. I've always used reef crystals. to start don't dose anything but test every once in a while, if you notice that something is usually low, dose for that.
  12. forddna

    forddna New Member

    The reason I ask is - I took notes while doing some research about a month ago. I jotted down this:
    Alk - 8-9 dkH, but 10-12 is okay, too
    Calcium - 400-500ppm
    Magnesium - 1450-1500ppm
    But I don't remember if that was absolutely perfect, ideal parameters or just a good range to aim for. So I took notes but it didn't do much good. lol

Share This Page