how do i post a darn pic?

Kristin1234

Is it possible via mobile?

I've tried the "upload file" & it says my file it too big.

Posting from a Samsung Galaxy s5.

flower

Go into the pictures file and reduce the size.
Easier said then done...I cropped and changed stuff all I could, and still can't get a file to upload, I also keep getting an error file too large. GGGRRR...do you have a step by step guide? The only file that upload are the ones I pull off the internet, not pics of my tanks.

silverado61

You have to go into your computer where the file is kept. Open the file for the photo then click on edit. You might have to right click. Then click resize. Then choose if you want to reduce the percentage or the pixels and by how much. Then click ok.

Easy peasy. lol

Kristin1234

You have to go into your computer where the file is kept. Open the file for the photo then click on edit. You might have to right click. Then click resize. Then choose if you want to reduce the percentage or the pixels and by how much. Then click ok.

Easy peasy. lol

But how from mobile??

pegasus

Yea, I tried it and it tells me the file is too large.

Guess it isn't happening from mobile.
Not likely. You'll need to have photo editing software in order to resize the picture. Pictures I take on my cell are usually over 2MB. I can open them in MS Paint on my computer, click resize, enter 50% in the first field box (it automatically changes the second box to 50%), and "save as" xxx. Click Upload File, locate the resized picture, and double-click it. Once you've done that, the file will upload. Sorry I haven't tested file sizes to see what can be uploaded...

Another option is to reduce the resolution of the photos your phone takes. This reduces the MB size of the pictures, but it also reduces photo quality... which can be critical when trying to identify an unknown species. It's always better to reduce the photo size, as this keeps the clarity of the original photo. Just another option if all else fails...

Last edited:

Bryce E

Yeah the only way I've been able to from mobile is by using the "upload a file" button right next to the "post reply" button. It says that the maximum file size is 1.3 MB but I've tried uploading a picture that size just to have it tell me that it's too big. So it would certainly be nice if they could increase it because all of my pictures are 3 to 5 MB and the only way that I've been able to reduce the size directly from my mobile is to take a screen shot of the picture and upload the screenshot. I got a couple to work that way though.

Bryce E

Like this one was 2.6 MB. I took a screen shot of the picture and that screen shot was only 936 kb.
2015-02-02-14-39-36.png

pegasus

I wondered why your pictures had the big black bars. At first I thought they were photos that didn't upload, but now it makes sense. It takes up a lot of space on the page, but if that's the only way to do it, so be it. You do what you gotta do... lol!

Nice emerald, by the way. I had one that used to parade back and forth across the front of the tank, and it always put on quite a show! It was like it knew we were watching...

Bryce E

Thanks, yeah I really like those crabs. And I'm sure it would be better if I added the pic as a thumbnail then it wouldn't do that. I saw that was an option but I always select full image so I'll keep that in mind. I noticed Silverado61 has little thumbnails that you can click and make full size so I'll try that next time so it's not annoying for everyone.