Show off your tank(s)!!

as you can tell my tank has NO Substarte , no sand only in the fuge.. and everything is doing great.. keeps my tank clean and I can add as much flow as I need.. and believe it or not I only use tap water I don't have a RO/DI system .

jc74

This isn't showing off obviously, but it'll be my "before" pic. It looks more like a refugium after being neglected for quite a while since I was thinking about tearing it down.

Finally got my pumps going again and got some T5's. Getting ready to get more live rock and a wave maker on the right, and something that'll eat all this algae! It's been established for over 10 years and I've had the same snails and crabs for about 5 or so. Just before this I lost my last clown fish that I had for close to 10 years so all that's left is a pygmy angel and the inverts. Hopefully soon it'll be transformed. Open for recommendations on a peaceful fish that'll eat all this green.

pegasus

a fox face?
+1.

"Though they are omnivorous, rabbitfishes require large amounts of vegetable matter in their diets and are excellent algae grazers. Of the three or four species that commonly make it into the trade, two species are excellent hair algae consumers, making them a real plus in many of today’s aquariums.
The most common in the trade is the foxface rabbitfish Siganus vulpinus, which can reach a size of 10 inches. Slightly larger and quite similar in appearance (and often misidentified as S. vulpinus), the magnificent rabbitfish S. magnificus is another good algae consumer. Both browse on desirable and unwanted forms of algae as if they were cows in a meadow!"

FYI: If you feed them heavily, they won't be as tempted to eat algae, so feed sparingly.

The Dolabella Sea Hare is considered an ultimate hair algae eating machine and cleans every bit of algae mess in your home aquarium. Generally, a four inch hare cleans a 125 gallon reef of all hair alga in about two weeks. On sale here a SWF.com for $9.99. My emerald crab eats hair algae, but not a noticeable amount. Several might make a difference.

Last edited:

jc74

a fox face?
I heard they're great algae eaters. I'm really not a fan of them but may give it a shot. I'm coming up with a list now for my next $60 order for free shipping (otherwise shipping is $40...yikes!).

I'll probably get more emerald crabs but they're far cheaper on ebay. With shipping they can be had for $5 a piece vs $9 a piece here. That's a little high for these.

seecrabrun

Finally got the light back on my tank after sending it back for replacement. So snapped a few decent pictures.

IMG_20150217_175624434-resized.jpg
IMG_20150217_181004762_HDR-resized.jpg
IMG_20150217_181322946-resized.jpg
IMG_20150217_180850723-resized.jpg