Acrylic or Glass

2quills

Hi,

Only the very front, and MAYBE the sides need to be ultra-clear, the back glass doesn't matter. Acrylic tanks are cheaper for a reason.
Typically they are more expensive compared to regular glass tanks. The starphire and the shipping costs are what shoot the price up so high. Glass tank that size is nearly 1000 lbs. Aside from the shipping I'll need about 5 hands to help me move it.

flower

Typically they are more expensive compared to regular glass tanks. The starphire and the shipping costs are what shoot the price up so high. Glass tank that size is nearly 1000 lbs. Aside from the shipping I'll need about 5 hands to help me move it.
I kind of remember somebody on this site ordered the glass and was going to make their own tank...my memory isn't that good nowadays, so I don't know if it was actually ever done. Your a handy guy, you might look into doing something like that.

2quills

I kind of remember somebody on this site ordered the glass and was going to make their own tank...my memory isn't that good nowadays, so I don't know if it was actually ever done. Your a handy guy, you might look into doing something like that.
Thought about it but trying to man handle the material for a large tank like this really requires having an extra hand or two. It's just not something I wanted to spend the time dealing with. Kinda wanted to just pay for everything this time around (accept for the stand) instead of diy'ng everything. Don't really want to drag another build out for 2 years.

I'll probably just go with the Glass Cages tank. It's a little closer to the budget I had in mind for the tank itself and leaves a little extra money in the kitty for equipment.

2quills

If anyone is currious got a couple more quotes back from the local fish store for the DSA tank.

96x30x30 tank.

Regular glass = $2980

Starphire on front only = $4200

Starphire on front and sides = $5200

3/4" glass

Wisehart

Glad you asked about acrylic and glass. All this time I've been thinking about buying a 300 gallon acrylic aquarium and I pretty sure it will now be a starphire glass aquarium.

chrisely24

My Father-in-Law started Tru-Vu back in the day making small betta tanks in his garage in California. He sold his half to his partner about 9 years ago and moved here to Georgia.

Sadly he does not speak to his ex-partner anymore or I would be able to get a heck of a deal.

Now they are in Nevada I think.