Assistance with biocube

P

Phish18jed

Good afternoon people! So I have the biocube 32. I started it up about 3-4 weeks ago. I had a 75g tank about 15 years ago so it's been a long time. I have some questions about where to start. I have a RO/DI system, live sand, media balls in one of lthe back chambers, caribsea life rock, a heater (set at 80°) and I've added Dr. Tim's One and Only and Bio-Spira. My question is, what are my next steps? What do I need to keep my live sand live? How long do I keep it running this?way? How long do I cycle this way? Do I need to add something like a small live rock in the back to help with cycling/good bacteria? I'm expecting a diatom bomb but from what I remembered from many years ago, it didn't happen until I added fish with LIVE rock. Can someone please guide me on what I need to do next?

SALTWAT3RFISH

Administrator
Staff member
Hi! It sounds like you're on the right path. Keep testing your parameters and adding a nutrient source until nitrites and nitrate stabilize. Adding some live rock definitely speeds things up imo, but...you risk adding hitchhikers that could be problematic down the road.

P

Phish18jed

Thank you so much...right now I'm checking every 3 days to be sure stabilizing is happening. My ammonia and nitrates have been 0 and nitrates between 5-10 ppm. I have one fish (who I've had for about 1.5 weeks and he's sound great. I'm monitoring the nitrates and do h2o changes about every 5-7 days. I understand about the risks of live rock. Do you think it'd be ok if I put one is the back chamber of the tank? I'm going to the store to get salt today and they have little fragments of lr...if I had little unwanted critters, will they make it past the filter?

SALTWAT3RFISH

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you so much...right now I'm checking every 3 days to be sure stabilizing is happening. My ammonia and nitrates have been 0 and nitrates between 5-10 ppm. I have one fish (who I've had for about 1.5 weeks and he's sound great. I'm monitoring the nitrates and do h2o changes about every 5-7 days. I understand about the risks of live rock. Do you think it'd be ok if I put one is the back chamber of the tank? I'm going to the store to get salt today and they have little fragments of lr...if I had little unwanted critters, will they make it past the filter?
Honestly, your chemistry sounds like it's right on schedule. Adding live rock is better than biomedia. People will argue this, but just by surface area alone it's superior. Add in the PH stabilization and added bacteria, it can be worth the risk. Just inspect the rocks and give them a good scrubbing with a toothbrush and some tank water from an exchange and you'll be good.

P

Phish18jed

Awesomeness! I have to go out today anyways so to the aquarium store I'll go! Thanks so much...oh one more question, what do you think about bioballs?

SALTWAT3RFISH

Administrator
Staff member
Surface area is a must to colonize beneficial bacteria. Bio-balls probably provide the least out of common medias. When thinking bio filtration, think dense and porous. Bio-balls will work, but they're the least efficient use of space imo.