urchin

widdlebiddy

I bought a pencil urchin today from my lfs. When i went to put him in the lfs told me to place him directly on my lr which is covered by hair algae. Well, i did and he fell off behind the rock and the glass. He hasn't moved except for his spines kinda swaying if you watch closely. I know these creatures are nocturnal so I'm wondering if ya'll think he's okay and just hiding until tonight or if you think he is hurt. All of his spines are still intact but he hasn't walked or anything. Also, can they get stuck between rocks? thanks

jam1e

I wouldn't be too concerned unless the spines start falling off for no apparent reason . they can sit still for long periods of time then suddenly become very active . i have a verigated urchin and a long-spined urchin in my 90 gallon

widdlebiddy

okay to just update ya'll the urchin is on my glass right where water level is,,,kinda funny. SO i'm taking it that thats good. This urchins not to pretty or anything, but i needed something to eat all this dang algae. My LFS didn't have any other ones except for a black long spined urchin which looked very cool but said that the needles are just that of a surgical needle and would probably hurt me. So, i stuck with the ugly(but interesting) blunt one. LOL

big pat

I have a pencil urchin too. He started losing a few spines, but he is regrowing them. Is this bad, or do urchins lose their spines then regrow bigger ones. Or does this mean that there is something wrong with my urchin?

jam1e

if he is regrowing them there isn't anything wrong .. my longspine looses a few here and there but that isn't a problem that's just natural shedding.. there's a problem when your urchin suddenly looses half of his spines and he starts looking bare .. and widdlebiddy you should've gone with the longspine .. it's not like it's going to jump at you to attack you when your and is in the tank .. as long as you don't grab it or anything it shouldn't hurt you .. my long-spines is my favorite urchin .. but I like my verigated urchin too because he has like a million short blunt white spines and they're not that sharp .. I can pick him up with my hands becuase the spines aren't that sharp .. I don't really like the pencil urchins that much .. not a big fan of the thick spines .. i like urchins with lots of thin spines

bojik

Originally Posted by widdlebiddy
okay to just update ya'll the urchin is on my glass right where water level is,,,kinda funny. SO i'm taking it that thats good. This urchins not to pretty or anything, but i needed something to eat all this dang algae. My LFS didn't have any other ones except for a black long spined urchin which looked very cool but said that the needles are just that of a surgical needle and would probably hurt me. So, i stuck with the ugly(but interesting) blunt one. LOL

Not to mention venomous.(EDIT: the long spine I mean) My urchin will some days sit around during lights on. And most others munch along all day. Love how they clean to the rock without leaving floaters. :D

ophiura

Did you acclimate this urchin? What are your water parameters?
BTW, the pencil urchin (if in fact it is a pencil urchin), is not, IMO, reef safe.

heppeone

if he is regrowing them there isn't anything wrong .. my longspine looses a few here and there but that isn't a problem that's just natural shedding.. there's a problem when your urchin suddenly looses half of his spines and he starts looking bare .. and widdlebiddy you should've gone with the longspine .. it's not like it's going to jump at you to attack you when your and is in the tank .. as long as you don't grab it or anything it shouldn't hurt you .. my long-spines is my favorite urchin .. but I like my verigated urchin too because he has like a million short blunt white spines and they're not that sharp .. I can pick him up with my hands becuase the spines aren't that sharp .. I don't really like the pencil urchins that much .. not a big fan of the thick spines .. i like urchins with lots of thin spines
A total shot in the dark since this post is almost 10 years old. I live on the eastern coast and found a urchin while walking the beach, was on the back of a horseshoe crab. Brought it home and introduced into my tank (60 g), I made the mistake of not acclimating it, this was yesterday. Today the spines are falling off, it has moved around the tank, but spends most of its time near the surface. There is live rock and plenty of alge growth on the back wall for it to it (if it's the right kind). The tank has several hermit crabs, a pair of "regular" crabs (kinda like emerald crabs in size and shaped, but light brownish), all wild caught and doing well, also two damsels.

Tested the water today. 8.4-ph, 0ppm-ammonia, 0ppm-nitrite, 2ppm-nitrate, 1.0265-SG. The ph and SG are both a little higher than I normally like to keep it, so will adjust, but all else seems to be in check.

Do you think it's stress related, not acclimating it, or something totally different? I could get ocean water and acclimate it today if not too late.

heppeone

image.jpeg
A total shot in the dark since this post is almost 10 years old. I live on the eastern coast and found a urchin while walking the beach, was on the back of a horseshoe crab. Brought it home and introduced into my tank (60 g), I made the mistake of not acclimating it, this was yesterday. Today the spines are falling off, it has moved around the tank, but spends most of its time near the surface. There is live rock and plenty of alge growth on the back wall for it to it (if it's the right kind). The tank has several hermit crabs, a pair of "regular" crabs (kinda like emerald crabs in size and shaped, but light brownish), all wild caught and doing well, also two damsels.

Tested the water today. 8.4-ph, 0ppm-ammonia, 0ppm-nitrite, 2ppm-nitrate, 1.0265-SG. The ph and SG are both a little higher than I normally like to keep it, so will adjust, but all else seems to be in check.

Do you think it's stress related, not acclimating it, or something totally different? I could get ocean water and acclimate it today if not too late. Any idea what kind it is?
Sounds like Osmotic Shock.
Anything I can do to treat it? Do you recognize the type?

2quills

It's probably shocked and who knows how long it was out of water. They're quite sensitivity to changes to water chemistry so acclimation is pretty important.

If it dies it can polute the tank.

Looks like a variety of what they refer to as either a long spine or posibly pencile urchin.

bang guy

There's nothing you can do at this point except wait. If it starts losing more spines then it's not going to recover.

Like 2quills mentioned echinoderms require a long slow acclimation period. In shallow water even heavy rain can cause a mass die-off.