Search results

1. uberlink

Tanks: 75, 90, and 110--same footprint?

Just trying to verify...I have a 75 now and am considering upgrading to a 90 or 110. Can someone confirm that these all have the same footprint such that I wouldn't have to change my stand and canopy?
  2. uberlink

Tiny snails on toadstool leather

My toadstool leather, which I've had for about three years, has been looking a bit pathetic lately. I would usually assume it's just going through a shedding phase or maybe needs some more flow, but I've noticed there are a bunch of tiny white snails on him at night time. I've not noticed...
  3. uberlink

Broken Cross-Member

I woke up this morning to find that the plastic cross-member in my 75 gallon tank had broken in the middle. The tank is otherwise fine (aside from a hair algae outbreak). No leaks, not bowing in the middle, etc. (It may help that it has an oak hood all the way around, which probably provides...
  4. uberlink

MODS: We need a sticky entitled "Tiny bugs on glass"...

...that explains about amphipods and copepods. This is an extremely common question among new members, and most don't dig into the existing posts before posting. Just a thought...
  5. uberlink

Oil in tank...what can I do?

A few weeks ago my chiller malfunctioned--badly--and sent some kind of oil into my tank. It's now been replaced under warranty (still fighting with them over whether they're going to pay for some carpet damage, but that's another story). I have gotten most of the oil out of the tank, but I've...
  6. uberlink

Food for a yellow tang

I got a yellow tang on Monday (after a three-day shipping ordeal due to bad weather). He's spending his first month or so with me by himself in a 28 gallon qt. He's doing amazingly well--behaving normally, etc. But he hasn't started eating. I've tried feeding Sprung's green sea veggies...
  7. uberlink

Chiller disaster!!!

CRAPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been finding oily residue on the surface of my water the last day or two. I thought it was because of my new chiller and was working to skim it out of there. Well, I woke up in the middle of the night to hear the unmistakable sound of my main pump sucking...
  8. uberlink

Oily sheen on my water...

My chiller recently died and was replaced under warranty by JBJ. I thought I'd gotten it pretty well rinsed out, but I fear it may have introduced some kind of oil into the tank. There's a sheen now on the surface of the water. No apparent problem for my critters yet but is there anything I...
  9. uberlink

Shipping delay...survival?

FedEx was supposed to deliver an SWF order today including a yellow tang, a new cleaner shrimp, a brain coral, and some snails and crabs. Apparently it's stuck in Memphis due to some kind of weather. They say I won't get it until Monday. Do you think anything will survive that long??? I...
  10. uberlink

Yellow Tang in QT

Will a small yellow tang do alright in my 28 gallon bow quarantine for a few weeks?
  11. uberlink

Help!!! Kalkwasser Overload!

The pump on my kalkwasser injector stuck on for 24 hours while I was away. Ph is at 9.5-10.0...basically off the charts. I'm doing water changes as fast as I can. What else can i do? please help!
  12. uberlink

Brain coral detached and wandering

I've never seen anything like this before. My Green Open Brain Coral gradually detached from its skeleton over the past couple of months, and the fleshy portion is now resting on the bottom of the sand a few inches from the skeleton. It looks as healthy as ever--good coloration; expansion and...
  13. uberlink

Brain coral detaching from skeleton

Any thoughts on what can be done to reverse this? My open brain corals' flesh seems to be coming loose from its skeleton. I think this happened due to an overdose of ozone a few weeks ago (I've since changed ORP controllers and shut down ozone for a while). Levels are: Temp: 75.9 PH 7.9 to...
  14. uberlink

ORP drop after water change

I did a five gallon water change yesterday morning. Thanks to my new glorious AqauController III, I was able to see that my ORP dropped from about 340 to about 250 immediately after the water change. Why would this happen? FYI, the water had been prepared and aging with a powerhead for a...
  15. uberlink

Aquacontroller III with Apple Airport and Mac computer

I got my new Aquacontroller III working with my Macintosh computer and my Apple Airport base station, along with a wireless ethernet bridge. Here's how I did it: Get a wireless ethernet bridge. (I bought a Linksys WET54G Ethernet bridge...works great.) Plug that directly into the Macintosh...
  16. uberlink

Kalkwasser stirrer vs. other options

I need to start dosing calcium as it's clear that water changes are no longer keeping up with my tank's calcium needs. After some research, I think that a kalkwasser stirrer (likely the Aquamedic unit) is the best bet for me, both in terms of cost and ease/performance. I may add a calcium...
  17. uberlink

Water alarm and shut down

I want to set up a system to alert me if there's a flood under my sump and to shut down my main pumps. Any suggestions? Is there a ready made system? Has anyone set something like this up?
  18. uberlink

Healthy clowns free to good home

I have a very nice pair of false percs in my tank that need a new home. You can see one of them in my avatar pic. I absolutely love them, and it is very hard to part with them--I've had one of them since I started in this hobby. Unfortunately, my office has decided that I can't keep the tank...
  19. uberlink

Fire! Near disaster...

I was out of town for a few days on business. Last night I got a call in the middle of the night from someone who was working late in my office. Apparently the powerstrip behind the nano tank I keep in my office started arcing and almost caused a fire. There was some smoke damage. I walked...
  20. uberlink

Flood! Help!

My tank lost about ten gallons of water while I was at work today due to some kind of malfunction in my protein skimmer. The water apparently found its way down the inside of a wall and onto the new carpet in my recently refinished basement. What do I need to do? Get someone out here to...