Fire! Near disaster...

uberlink

I was out of town for a few days on business. Last night I got a call in the middle of the night from someone who was working late in my office. Apparently the powerstrip behind the nano tank I keep in my office started arcing and almost caused a fire. There was some smoke damage. I walked him through getting things running again, but my office building has asked me to remove the tank...I'd do the same if I were them.
I think this was caused by a Skilter skimmer on back of the tank. If you know those units, they have an external magnetic drive pump. They occasionally seep a bit of water around the edges. My guess is that some saltwater ran down the line and found its way to the powerstrip. Important lesson--use drip loops and a quality power source!
So now I'm going to have to combine my work and home tanks. Everything should be compatible (they're pretty similar), but I'm worried. Both tanks have a pair of percula clowns. Can I get away with two pairs in a 75? Help appreciated!
And be careful out there...

sepulatian

I had something similar happen. I had the powerstrip up, but not high enough. The SW went into the strip. It never smoked, but one day I smelled something weird................. My new strip is up high

uberlink

What's your thought on two pairs in the 75? One pair too many, right? It's a shame. I've had one of the two clowns in my office tank (which was my first tank) since I started the hobby. I'd hate to give her away!

sepulatian

Originally Posted by uberlink
What's your thought on two pairs in the 75? One pair too many, right? It's a shame. I've had one of the two clowns in my office tank (which was my first tank) since I started the hobby. I'd hate to give her away!
I would not add two pairs in any tank.

uberlink

Originally Posted by Dawman
Why don`t you set up the nano at home and then you have a home for the percs ?
My wife is pretty much ready to pull the plug on the entire aquarium hobby. A week ago the superskimmer in the tank at home malfunctioned and let ten gallons of water go onto the hardwood floor (and down the wall and into the basement...). Then while I'm away on a trip the tank at work almost burns down my law firm (the way she sees it). And this morning the filter on my quarantine tank started leaking and spilled a little water on the basement carpet (like half a gallon). I've tried to tell her bad things come in threes so we should be in the clear, but she isn't buying it. I can't push my luck by adding a second aquarium at home--especially the "fire" aquarium. She'll kill me.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Powerstrips up high, drip loops and GFI sockets are a must.
Thanks for sharing, glad it didn't get worse!
Drip loops are so easy to overlook, but vital. I speak from experience; charred a big piece of carpet and almost (should have) caused a fire. I now secure drip loops, rather than just look at them and assume the cord will stay that way.

uberlink

So I'm about to transport some of my critters from the office tank into the home tank. Question: Can I get away with two brittle stars in the same tank? They're both the ordinary brown brittles. The one in my office is huge.

pbienkiewi

I keep a couple of cans of air. The air cans used to clean keyboards. Every now and then I unplug all cords. Hold the strip upside down and blow them out. It helps gets rid of the salt creep buildup and if you have animals you also get the hair buildup also.

the brittle stars will be ok to transport together. I keep 3 in my 55gal. There single legs are probably 12in each.

uberlink

On my clowns, could I put the smaller of the two clowns in with the pair in my home tank (i.e. three clowns total, one female and two male)?

uberlink

If there's anyone in the Twin Cities who wants them and can give them a good home, I'd like to give these little clowns to someone on the board.

dinogeorge

My powerstrips have overload switches that kill the power if they get wet. A drip loop works to keep the water out, but if it gets in the powerstrip should trip. Don't you guys have them on your strips too?

dinogeorge

Man, I'm just hoping that they function that way! I have never poured water on mine to test. I know they triip if there is a power surge, or overload. But I am guessing water in them would do the same thing. I think I'm going to test one....just so I can sleep tonight!

uberlink

What you really need is a ground fault interrupter. You can pick them up at the hardware store. Beward, though, that they will sometimes trip when you don't want them to, thus shutting down equipment.