5g reef

Discussion in 'Reef Tanks' started by snakeblitz33, Nov 18, 2016.

1. 2quills

2quills Administrator Staff Member

Best of luck Seth.

Tank looks good though.

snakeblitz33 likes this.
  2. snakeblitz33

snakeblitz33 Well-Known Member

Gonna clean it and do a water change.

The montipora started looking funny after I increased the lighting intensity, so I backed off to the previous setting when it was doing well.

I'm considering completely removing the old filter floss and replacing it with some quilters batting.... I think the old filter has become a nitrate burden on the system.

I wish I could get a few pounds of black sand to mix things up again. I wish I could move the tank to a better spot.

3. jay0705

jay0705 Administrator Staff Member

Go to petco. Slice open a bag. Then tell them this bag is damaged can i get a discount. Lol

4. snakeblitz33

I could get black sand, but they sell it for $30 for 20lbs and I only need 3 or 4 pounds. I'm not damaging product... I used to own a store, I know how frustrating that is.

The LFS was closed Saturday, so I wasn't able to get new saltwater for a water change this weekend. Dimming the lights a little bit seemed to have helped a little bit.

I'm not going to clean the glass or anything until I get new saltwater. The placement of the tank makes it difficult to do maintenance. Maybe the next tank I start, I'll pick a better spot when my kids are older.

jay0705 likes this.
  5. lmforbis

lmforbis Administrator Staff Member

Unfortunately little kids tend to dictate the location. Nothing worse than discovering they have fed the fish a peanut butter sandwich.

snakeblitz33 likes this.
  6. snakeblitz33

The montipora that I have in the tank just doesn't look the same since I used that epoxy to epoxy the rocks together. The polyps haven't come out, but it has grown a little bit. I'm wondering if there is something toxic in the water. I might do a total tank reset and go ahead and bite the bullet and buy that 20lbs of black sand after all.

I'll find someone to house my corals for a month or so. The tank needs to be completely ready by August.

7. snakeblitz33

I've decided to put this tank in my classroom to teach students biology and physics... But it won't be until after the summer until I move it.

gkat66 and jay0705 like this.
  8. lmforbis

lmforbis Administrator Staff Member

Great idea