Check this out! (Ophiura)

ryebread

I finally found out what happened to the arm of my Linkia Multiflora Starfish. My Linkia had dropped of one of its arms a little while back and I had hoped that this would happen........it did. The arm that came off has started to grow into a new Linkia. :)
Does this mean that I am over my starfish limit in my 29g now? :D

ophiura

:D
Yes! You can keep him! :p
I'm such a push over...
I always suggest that this is the best way to introduce another reef safe star! Let the star decide! These stars will reproduce if there is enough food to sustain another (they are healthy enough). I would probably consider being a source of captive raised Linckia multiflora if it does it again though!
COOL PHOTO!
:D

bang guy

Rye,
I'm going to disagree with Ophiura in this case. You have exceeded your Star limit and will soon be visited by the Starz Police (SPD). Your only hope of avoiding encapsulation is to mail the Star to me immediately! Contact me using the e-mail address below for my mailing address.
Guy
ps - That is VERY!!! cool :D congrats!

mdhyde

what a very cool picture.
Long ago, fisherman would haul up fish catches only to find starfishes. They would cut them up thinking they would die and be food for the fish; but all they did was reproduce from each cut piece.

ophiura

Not very long ago, I am afraid! It was even quite common for divers to do this when hunting the crown of thorns star in the indo pacific.
Bang Guy. STOP! This sort of threat will not be tolerated!!

rook

Rhy,
Where did you get the original Muliflora.
I have been search, so far to no avail. I would happily purhase or trade for your second, or third if you get one. My tank is plenty ready for a L.Multiflora.

ophiura

This is exactly what I was going to ask! :D What is the setup Rye? I often have to photograph specimens to get a similar look, but don't quite have the same spectacular results! Especially since you have it on the ventral surface.
Really a beautiful shot of a comet star!

ryebread

Well.............if you really want to know. :p
For that particular shot:
Nikon D100 camera body
Nikon 24-85 f/2.8-4 macro lens
SB-50dx flash w/ wide angle diffusier
Gitzo Explorer Tripod
SC-17 flash cord ( to separate the flash from the camera)
Heliopan Neutral Density filter (blocks out some of the light)
ISO=200
f/11
@ 1/90th of a sec
Oh yeah............and some good luck too. ;)

Rye, one word: AWESOME!
Could you describe your setup in more detail. Like what equipment, your maintenance schedule, practices, etc.
The reason I ask it because I'm a new reefer and I also have a 29gallon tank. Your pics are beautiful and your tank is thriving. I've read that starfish could not be kept in anything less than 55 gallons but look at you! What's your secret?
Miles

ophiura

So, Rye, what you saying is it was basically point and click? :D You and yur fancy camera lingo :mad: LOL :D
miles o'reef,
This particular species of star is basically the only reef safe seastar suitable for a reef tank in this size range. The others are not suitable for a 29g tank. Key is to still have a good amount of LR for it, as it can not be spot fed. The tank should be at least 6 months old, and they need a long acclimation. Other than that, it is one of the toughest of the reef safe stars! :)

Thanks Ophiura for the info. That gives me hope. I really wanted a starfish but I thought that it wouldn't be possible because I didn't have a large enough tank. I am going to wait until my tank is older and in the meantime look up some research.
Miles

bang guy

Rye - What does the Linckia that dropped the arm look like? Can you tell where the arm came from? I ask because I saw a Blue Linckia at the LFS that just looks like a big Blue "+" sign. I couldn't tell where the fifth arm would have been. I was wondering if maybe this was just a 4 armed Starfish.

ryebread

Here is the short arm of the linckia showing at the bottom. It happened a while ago and I had not seen the new growth coming from the dropped arm until just recently.
The original star is regenerating the new arm rapidly.