fish may not be doing well

beth

Administrator
Staff member
It never fails that something goes awry in the tank with just one single overnight-er.

iidylii

Considering u guys are all so lite on the subject I won't be to concerned lol...

Also...even right after feeding him he goes right back to it lol...oh well I guess that's gonna be his new thing lol

iidylii

This pretty much covers the same topic...finally did it forbis! Left my rodi running into my sump for about 18 hours to do a 30 min top off! Today I look at my tank at lunch time and I see my nem not happy and then I look in the corner and my cleaner shrimp is a goner :~{....then I thought oh crap! I bet I left the water on all day and night...so I checked my water and it was 25ppm instead of 35...so I had to rush back to work so I quickly dumped 15 gallons of water out and then stuffed about 25 gallons worth of salt in a 5 gallon bucket so we will see what happens...so far all the fish are ok and eating just a little salinity shock I hope :~{

iidylii

So I can just leave my faucet in the basement in the on position at all times with a float? I'm just always scared of all that stored pressure with nowhere to go

jay0705

Really no different then your faucet. The pressure is always there just a matter of what holds it. Faucet, valve, ect

iidylii

See it's one of those old wash tubs in the basement with the old valves to turn the water on and off....the reason I'm scared of this is I had a garden hose in the basement last year and had the spray nozzle on the end of the garden hose...well during one of the times the water was on and I was not spraying with the hose the pressure built up and the garden hose exploded...so I'm thinking that is what's going to happen with the rodi system of course...I would think there should be some kind of pressure regulator I might have to install?

iidylii

On the hose outside it is ok to leave it on with the spray nozzle closed so what is the difference?

jay0705

I would think the same. All tho idk if ro systems are made to hold back the pressure or not tho

iidylii

nvm...I realize now I used one of them self coil up hoses which are very cheap rubber so it couldn't hold back the water pressure...for example obviously if I have a water balloon on the end of the faucet its going to explode "cheap rubber" hence this hose basically ballooned and exploded :)

lmforbis

I don't leave the water on to it all the time. Float valves can fail. I have a ball valve in the line from the RODI system to the ATO. I keep that off unless I'm filling it. The float valves gives me peace of mind as I often forget to turn it off. When I go diving next month and leave my husband in charge of the fish I'll leave it on or he'll forget to fill it.

iidylii

So u do leave the faucet on all the time u just have a ball valve for on and off basically? And I can just buy an auto top off float switch and hook it right to the end of the rodi line that goes into my sump then correct? So to recap faucet on rodi line direct to the float switch which will be in my sump...? A float has to actually be plugged in correct? I wasn't sure if there were ones that just opened and closed with the float or if they all have an actual switch? Lotta questions lol

2quills

Been there done that. :D

It's safer if you can cut the pressure off to the unit when you aren't using it.

Float valves aren't super reliable. I'd only consider them as a secondary back up incase you don't turn off the unit in time.

These little irrigation timers can come in handy. Just set it for 30 minutes and forget it. Can still use a float valve as a secondary safety. They're cheap.

046878277045.jpg

lmforbis

Mine are not plugged in. I got them at BRS. They work like a float valve in a toilet. Water level goes up and closes the valve. You could do that and a lot of people do. I'm paranoid so I have the ATO that I can separate from the water source with the ball valve. That way no more than 7 gallons can dump into my tank.
My RO is plumbed directly to my kitchen sink. I have the DI separated. I use RO for drinking and the ice maker as well. It only goes to the DI if I am using the water for the tank. I have 3 lines from the RODI one to my ATO one to my SW mixing tank and another to a 28 gallon brute trash can for extra water storage all in the basement. I just ran the lines under the floor. Each one has ball valve and a float valve.