Mixing Own Water

Discussion in 'Tips and Techniques' started by Frogfan183, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Frogfan183

Frogfan183 New Member

Question:

I have traditionally bought my RO/DI water from my LFS. I want to begin making my own water to cut down on costs; however I don't want to go through the effort of setting up my own RO/DI system. I am debating on continuing to buy freshwater from the LFS and then mixing in a higher grade salt mix. I've always had nitrates that looked a tad high, and I'm hoping I can handle the freshwater/mix on my own and cut down the nitrates...any recommendations on how to go about doing this? (i.e. additional purification on my end to remove nitrates and a high grade salt to aid in coral growth)

2. bang guy

bang guy Administrator Staff Member

The nitrates are probably not coming from your water & salt mix unless the LFS is selling you tap water. Nitrates come from fish food: food -> fish -> poop -> ammonia -> Nitrite -> Nitrate.

To cut down in Nitrate you either need to reduce the amount of food that enters the tank or find a way to export the nitrate: algae skimmer, chemical reactor, upgraded skimmer, etc.

Mixing salt water is quite easy: purified cold water, slowly add 1/2 cup salt mix to cold water while stirring vigerously, sit for 24 hours in an open or aerated container, warm to tank temp, change water.

3. lmforbis

lmforbis Administrator Staff Member

I think Bang means Half cup of salt per gallon of water.
    You still need to test the salinity with a refractometer.

4. bang guy

bang guy Administrator Staff Member

Thanks!! I meant to write "per gallon". Glad you got my back.

5. beth

beth Administrator Staff Member

I used to buy Distilled water from local grocery store and then mix my own. Always test source water first to make sure it is what its supposed to be. I also used a TDS meter to measure any dissolved solids in water. Then you can mix your own. Eventually, I went with the RODI system and set it up so that it could service my refrigerator/icemaker and give me tank water. Long run, I did save $ by setting up my own system.