MOVING 1000 MILES(2 DAY TRIP) HOW DO I MOVE MY FISH SAFELY?

Help please.I am moving from Spartanburg SC to Lamesa texas.2 day trip. driving straight thu,I have a fish/ live rock tank(55 gallons)
How do I get my kids there all healthy?

meowzer

I have never done this ...>BUT....I would put the rock in a tote with SW (of course) a heater and a powerhead.....and do the same with the fish
you can get an inverter that works with your cars cigarette lighter......
P.S. I would make it in one day......LOL.....I drove from NY to OK....in 20 hours

gemmy

You could also put the fish in a cooler. You need to have plenty of fresh saltwater on hand to be to do small water changes. You would want to keep the fish dark.

flower

You would have to pay, but I think the best thing to do is have a LFS hold your critters and once you move and have the tank set up...have your critters shipped to you overnight. Then acclimate your critters to the new digs. That's the safest way. You won't be rushed to set up the tank willy nilly and the critters won't be nearly as stressed and neither would you.

S

siptang

You would have to pay, but I think the best thing to do is have a LFS hold your critters and once you move and have the tank set up...have your critters shipped to you overnight. Then acclimate your critters to the new digs. That's the safest way. You won't be rushed to set up the tank willy nilly and the critters won't be nearly as stressed and neither would you.
Only if the people in the world are nice and as competent as you flower lol.
I wouldn't trust anyone that I don't know with my fosh and corals.

jerthunter

I did something similair a couple years ago except my drive was only a day, maybe 500 miles.
I tore down my tank the night before, brought premixed water in some jugs (you can use brand new plastic gas cans to hold the water, less chance of spilling vs buckets.) I had several plastic rubbermaid tubs, each less then half full with water, live rock in one, I bagged all my coral and fish seperately and put them in another rubbermaid tub.
It only took a day to drive but I didn't use a heater or powerhead, and when I set it up that evening I only filled my tank halfway since I didn't have enough premade water.
Everything made it, I had thought I lost a few shrimp but they survived.
I wouldn't worry to much about it as long as you aren't seeing too much in the area of temp. swings. I actually had a lot of my fish still in the tubs for a day or two after the move and they all lived.
What I learned from the move is, try to have enough NEW water ready, and if you can, set up a new tank at your destination before the move, or atleast prep for it. Also relax, don't let it stress you out too much, realize that most of your fish/coral had much more difficult trip from the ocean to you in the first place so they can probably handle the move.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siptang http:///t/390872/moving-1000-miles-2-day-trip-how-do-i-move-my-fish-safely#post_3463626
Only if the people in the world are nice and as competent as you flower lol.
I wouldn't trust anyone that I don't know with my fosh and corals.
I understand, but many times we make close friends of our fish store gurus if they are good. If you can trust the store, then it's worth it to have them shipped. I have moved many times but never that far. Jerthunter's method is what I did too...but I used 5g jugs for the water not new gas cans...but the gas cans... LOL..might be cheaper, the jugs cost $15.00 each.
I lost a shrimp on the last move and I didn't even go very far, just up the street. I was acclimating the critters to the new digs and the shrimp, still in the tub just fell over and died...his buddy, another cleaner shrimp was fine. A two day trip, driving straight thru...I would sell or give away my fish and shrimps then repurchase them after the move...coral I think wouldn't have a problem and would make it just fine, keep them in the dark during the trip.
The fact that after two days you would be too exhausted to try and set everything up right and transfer the critters...it's just asking too much of a person. Then what about possible car troubles, the event of accidents or getting lost on the highway adding time to an already ticking clock. Nothing ever goes exactly as plannned.

Thanks to all who posted!! It took 28 hours and i had only one loss(one of my gobies) took a big tub,put some sand,water and rocks from the tank. Used a heater,power head and air stone. had them covered the whole time(had air holes punched into the top) Thanks again my friends

S

siptang

Fantastic! sorry for that goby but hey, rest of the crew made it safe and sound! Good job and good luck setting up your new place and the tank!

moving co still hasnt got here. had to go buy a new tank(got a bigger one) set it up and all is good so far, the tang is sassy as hell being able to move around,the coral beauty is cruzing,the engineer goby is hard at work,the spotted green puffer is moving thr like a little helicopter,and the damsel is patroling the area!!! the one lawnmower goby is gliding all over. Thanks to yall and the one upstairs!!!

S

siptang

Quote:
Originally Posted by wipeoutmama http:///t/390872/moving-1000-miles-2-day-trip-how-do-i-move-my-fish-safely#post_3465980
moving co still hasnt got here. had to go buy a new tank(got a bigger one) set it up and all is good so far, the tang is sassy as hell being able to move around,the coral beauty is cruzing,the engineer goby is hard at work,the spotted green puffer is moving thr like a little helicopter,and the damsel is patroling the area!!! the one lawnmower goby is gliding all over. Thanks to yall and the one upstairs!!!