Nano Reefers! Info and Tank Photos!

zap_dog

Hey nissan577, DON'T use purple up??? any reason why? was going to buy some.Never used it before but thought it might speed up growth some.

the bro

Having a slight problem my water is somewhat cloudy, its not real bad though i dont know if it will get worse before it better.
Any ideas on why it got cloudy after the diatom Bloom? Is it common and will it clear up on its own?

nissan577

Originally Posted by The Bro
http:///forum/post/3222990
Having a slight problem my water is somewhat cloudy, its not real bad though i dont know if it will get worse before it better.
Any ideas on why it got cloudy after the diatom Bloom? Is it common and will it clear up on its own?
did you move the sand around???? it should clear up in a day or so. you can do a water change.
Originally Posted by zap_dog

http:///forum/post/3222881
Hey nissan577, DON'T use purple up??? any reason why? was going to buy some.Never used it before but thought it might speed up growth some.
posted by another reefer
"all purple up is, is a combined Ca, alk, Mg solution. you already keep track of these. when you added this to your tank you messed up the ballance and caused the Ca to fall out of suspension.
no harm should come to the critters, but it may take you a bit to get your levels back under control. you may need to do a large water change to get them back to a point where you have your levels good again.
remember that part about not adding anything to the tank that you are not able to test for, or know exactly what is in it.
as long as your Ca/alk are acceptable the coralline will grow just fine. it takes time to get going. just be patient."

the bro

did you move the sand around???? it should clear up in a day or so. you can do a water change.
Nope sand hasnt been moved at all so its definitely not a sand issue. After 3 days my water is still cloudy it dosent seem to be getting any worse but at the same time not better either. Water was crystal clear until the final day of the diatom alage bloom. Only thing that changed was that i did a 15% water change during the bloom, and added a bag of chemi-pure elite.
These could possibly be the problem, but im not sure, what do yall think?
White cloudiness is a result of a bacteria bloom.
Sometimes the cleaning of all filters at once, or the changing of the gravel can trigger a bacteria bloom, due to the removal of bacterial colonies that had settled on the filter media or substrate.
Bacterial Bloom: Bacteria blooms occur when nitrifying bacteria in a aquarium is not established (or there is not enough) allowing bad bacteria to flourish and create a foggy haze in your aquarium.
Could be the frequent water changes i do every week i believe also. Since I have close to NO bioload on my tank, i could be taking too much to the benefical bateria out of the tank before it repopulates

dankbardy31

What stuff do you guys add to your tanks as far as trace elements? I've got a mix of zoos and palys, lps, and one montipora and currently only use purple up. Does anyone recommend one brand over another or a certain type? Thanks

zap_dog

Was checking out my live rock today and found some hitchhikers. Three brittle stars ! Not very big at all, body is about as big as a pencil eraser. When they get big enough to catch I'll have to donate a couple to friends tank.

socalnano24

Originally Posted by dankbardy31
http:///forum/post/3226148
anybody got an answer for me?
honestly I use purple tech..... seems to do the trick.
I test for alkalinity, pH and calcium.... I know purple tech also has some trace strontinum and magnesium.
Probably should test for those, but the tank seems to be pretty stable with what I've been doing

lolgranny

Im thinking about picking up a nano until im able to setup my big tank when i move. What do you guys think is a better call, the new nano's with the LED lights or the typically halide ones?
Do you guys have a small refugeeum on the back of yours? I think i came across one and didnt know they had it on this small of a tank. Figured i would ask, im use to messing with the bigger ones and its been a while since ive had mine, sadly :( :(
Miss looking at them
Thanks for the info!!

kempobmx1

Here's my two week old 29 BioCube. Just put in 20 more lbs of uncured LR so as soon as my ammonia spike settles I'll be starting with a pair of Ocellaris Clowns.

kiefers

these are great tanks.. I hope mine turns out half as nice.
Since the forum has changed how is one suppost to post pics?