need help on a hippo tang!!!

ginarox

my hippo tang looks like he has been rubbing on the lr ,his skin looks awful, does anyone knows what is going on.....looks like he has scratched to hard and it is taring up his skin....
i hope these pictures help..thanks for any help....have a great day. :notsure:

alyssia

Have you seen any signs of ich in your tank? Scratching can be a sign of ich. I have had some fish scratch before the ich spots showed up.

alyssia

Originally Posted by MiaHeatLvr
Ive seem those symtoms in the starter thread IN THIS THREAD! Just yesterday

huh? :thinking:

ginarox

will i have been seeing him scratch against the rocks, i didnt think any thing about it, i just thought they did that...great.... i have been hearing some horror stories of everyone experiencing ich, and now i got it,,,thankyou for your input,,,,have a great day....

miaheatlvr

SORRY, to clear that up,, in this thread under (DISEASED FISH) it looks like #18 excatly,, bacteria infection! no?

alyssia

Originally Posted by ginarox
will i have been seeing him scratch against the rocks, i didnt think any thing about it, i just thought they did that...great.... i have been hearing some horror stories of everyone experiencing ich, and now i got it,,,thankyou for your input,,,,have a great day....

Hippos are especially prone to ich. Are they in a QT?

alyssia

Originally Posted by MiaHeatLvr
SORRY, to clear that up,, in this thread under (DISEASED FISH) it looks like #18 excatly,, bacteria infection! no?

Do you mean in this forum?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
How long have you had this fish? And what are your water readings?
Are those actually red marks beneath the skin?

ginarox

there white marks, my camera is not the best, the sad thing of it is . i have a guy that does this for a living. he came out friday afternoon to check on things and cleaned and he said everything looked fine,,, saturday afternoon the lights came on and that is when i noticed the hippo tang,,,thankyou all for you input,,, i am going to call my fish guy monday morning,,,thankyou all for your input, i dont have the first clue in qt ing a tank, thankyou all, and have a great day...

beth

Administrator
Staff member
So you are saying that all of the red marks are actually white mark? No red? You don't keep track of your water readings then? I would suggest that you do this yourself, if not.
Hippos have the tendency to lodge in tight rocky placees. He may have lodged and then when he tried to back out, he had some difficulty. Do you have LR in your tank? Any dead coral skeletons?

ginarox

yes i do have lr in tank,, sorry but they are white, my camera didnt get a good picture... he does like to lodge himself up in a rock i am surprised that he even fits, but he does run his body up against the rock, and i have a mimic yellow tang i noticed earlier he is doing the same thing,,,, i am going to give my fish guy a call in the morning and see if he can come out and help me,,,its weird how he came out friday and said everything looked fine, he didnt tell me the readings of the water, he did say that my calcium is low, and when he comes out again he will bring me some.... i am just wondering if that could cause the fish to rub there bodies against the rock...thanks for all you all s input,,,have a great day.....

R

reeffer

Feed them garlic, soak brine in it, also soak your algae in it, buy a UV ster. if you can $$
OR
QT them if one has it they will all probly get it to some degree.
I had a similar outbreak, didnt get to were you are at but you can still stop it!
the garlic is a good idea for anyone to use it boosts there imune systems

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If fish are rubbing, that usually means something is bothering them. Parasites, perhaps.

L

lpuzon

hmm.. got me scared here.. so what are the signs of ich? i don't see anything on fishes as of the moment, (i keep looking closely at each and one of them to make sure, every minute! aha!) but i wanna be prepared when it happens... did anybody tried to say that LRs could have cause these?

120reefer

Originally Posted by lpuzon
hmm.. got me scared here.. so what are the signs of ich? i don't see anything on fishes as of the moment, (i keep looking closely at each and one of them to make sure, every minute! aha!) but i wanna be prepared when it happens... did anybody tried to say that LRs could have cause these?
Signs of White Spot Ich are: White spots, Rubbing, Rough skin... other possible signs are gasping, and cloudy eyes. With the information stated above... it sounds like it could be either Ich or marine velvet.... both deadly for sure. Yes, fish have been known to get abrasions on thier skin from rubbing against LR and corals and what not... but from the pictures available.. I would say it's either Ich or Marine Velvet... JMO.
Ginorax... I would definately research on QT tanks.... thats the only way to safely perform hyposalinity... which IMO is the ONLY SAFE way to cure Ich. And I am in NO WAY trying to flame you... but from now on.. I would definately consider QTing fish before puting into your display. This will enable you to watch the fish closely for any signs of disease, and if need be, cure the disease w/o stressing the fish out even more by catching it, and re-acclimating it into the QT
Best of luck with everything...

engineer

Originally Posted by ginarox
there white marks, my camera is not the best, the sad thing of it is . i have a guy that does this for a living. he came out friday afternoon to check on things and cleaned and he said everything looked fine,,, saturday afternoon the lights came on and that is when i noticed the hippo tang,,,thankyou all for you input,,, i am going to call my fish guy monday morning,,,thankyou all for your input, i dont have the first clue in qt ing a tank, thankyou all, and have a great day...

The sad part is that when people start setting up and maintaining tanks for money, some forget to care as much as they did/do when it is/was their own tank(not saying he doesnt care)

120reefer

Originally Posted by engineer
The sad part is that when people start setting up and maintaining tanks for money, some forget to care as much as they did/do when it is/was their own tank(not saying he doesnt care)
It's probably not even that he doesn't care, Just if he told his customers about QTing a fish for 4-6 weeks BEFORE it could go into their display.. i don't think many people would come back to him for business..
Same thing with the LFS's... People are always complaining that they sold some guy a sohal tang for this other guys 55 gal.. or sold an Emperor for that guys 75.. Many of the people who go to their LFS, IMO, don't have very much knowledge about this hobby. I think if the guys at the LFS told the customer they COULDN"T put those fish in their tank b/c it was too small.. they wouldnt make much profit at all...
Same idea with the QT thing...

120reefer

Originally Posted by sign guy
what are the syptoms of flutes
I think you mean fish flukes? Fish flukes and fish lice share similar symptoms..: white patches on body, wormlike attachments, rubbing, gasping, and cloudy eyes are all possitive signs.