need help on a hippo tang!!!

engineer

Originally Posted by 120reefer
It's probably not even that he doesn't care, Just if he told his customers about QTing a fish for 4-6 weeks BEFORE it could go into their display.. i don't think many people would come back to him for business..
Same thing with the LFS's... People are always complaining that they sold some guy a sohal tang for this other guys 55 gal.. or sold an Emperor for that guys 75.. Many of the people who go to their LFS, IMO, don't have very much knowledge about this hobby. I think if the guys at the LFS told the customer they COULDN"T put those fish in their tank b/c it was too small.. they wouldnt make much profit at all...
Same idea with the QT thing...

(didnt mean to offend anyone, just saying)If Ginarox doesnt know a whole lot about the hobby then the maintenance guy could just be blowing it/her off cause he is in a hurry to get to his/her next clients house. Also from my experiences water/stress is the first culpret of diseases in MOST cases. So in Ginarox's case the water COULD be screwy and he told her everything was fine.

120reefer

Originally Posted by engineer
(didnt mean to offend anyone, just saying)If Ginarox doesnt know a whole lot about the hobby then the maintenance guy could just be blowing it/her off cause he is in a hurry to get to his/her next clients house. Also from my experiences water/stress is the first culpret of diseases in MOST cases. So in Ginarox's case the water COULD be screwy and he told her everything was fine.
Sorry Engineer, i was not offended at all by anything you said
I was just giving another scenario. The reasons you stated are highly possible as well, i was just giving another... BTW I agree with you 100% in that water quality/stress is the #1 reason for an outbreak... hence the reasoning behind a QT tank...
Sorry again for the misunderstanding engineer..

ginarox

thankyou all, so much for your input, on the garlic ,does have to be garlic powder or garlic salt?? i called my fish guy, i know that is a weird name to call him,,,,lol..he told me he would be out in the morning and he will bring me a set up for a qting tank and get it under control...if my blue hippo tang doesnt make it, i dont think i will get another one, cause what i have been read on the message board that hippo tangs are very excaptable to getting ich, i do have a uv ster. i am going to give this garlic thing a try.... thankyou all for your help...oh!! he is still eating really good, so i am hoping that we can catch in time....thanks again.....

engineer

Originally Posted by ginarox
thankyou all, so much for your input, on the garlic ,does have to be garlic powder or garlic salt?? i called my fish guy, i know that is a weird name to call him,,,,lol..he told me he would be out in the morning and he will bring me a set up for a qting tank and get it under control...if my blue hippo tang doesnt make it, i dont think i will get another one, cause what i have been read on the message board that hippo tangs are very excaptable to getting ich, i do have a uv ster. i am going to give this garlic thing a try.... thankyou all for your help...oh!! he is still eating really good, so i am hoping that we can catch in time....thanks again.....

Well neither one of those, garlic extract.

sleasia

ginarox...garlic xtreme is good stuff. If you can't get some quick take a clove of garlic slice it in half and soak it in water for an hour or so, then when you prepare fish food soak the food in a few ml of tank water with 2 or 3 drops of the garlic water...let it sit 10-15 minutes then scoop out the food and feed it to the fish. If you can qt the hippo, this would be best . Alot of people are afraid to keep tangs, but they are the best fish....i love them. but I think for success they should all be qt'd initially, and they must be supplemented with vitamin c, and probably fed some garlic daily, as well as any other vit supplements. Then they do ok.

sleasia

I got on the end of the thread without seeing the original pics...the fish looks pretty healthy other than these whitish areas. most tangs experience fading if water quality is not right. this does not look like ich to me, nor other parasites, it looks more like changes typically seen when water quality is bad. did you have a sudden raise in salinity maybe? These discoloration has happened to my tangs when accidentally the salinity bumped up with a water change. Or when the water used was not sufficiently "seasoned" for my usual 3 days before adding it to the tank. once corrected this all dissapeared. check all the water parameters carefully...this is why it is so important to know all of this yourself, because if the fish guy does it , then you will not necessarily know if salinity bumped up or what happened. also you may want to set up a qt and treat the fish with hypo. add a bit of slime coat product to the water too. Good luck, I hope he does well, I would hate to see you give up on tangs, they are so beautiful.

ginarox

were do i get this garlic extreme, can i get it at my lfs.... thankyou all so much for your help, i will keep you updated on his progress...have a great day...

L

lpuzon

were do i get this garlic extreme, can i get it at my lfs.... thankyou all so much for your help, i will keep you updated on his progress...have a great day...

ask your LFS, and i saw the garlic xtreme at petsmart yesterday...

seannmelly

thankyou ......i will keep you all updated...have a great day....
Your lfs, should have garlic extreme. We use it EVERY time we feed our fish! I love the stuff, it's stinky but it works great. I had a hippo tang(that I did not quarentine) and he got a couple spots of ich, I used a little bit more garlic in his food then normal and it went away. You should not be discouraged whatsoever, if your water quality is pristine meaning water reading w/in normal (ammonia, nitriten, nitrate all 0ppm, pH w/in range, Salinity at a constant reading), and as long as he is eating great, his immune system should be strong enough to fight whatever parasites try to attack him. It IS a very good idea to quarentine fish before something like this happens. I just chose not to because most of the fish that I get are already quarentined at my lfs. Hope everything turns out good for you!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone read the info-post on garlic in the FAQ Thread?

Only fresh garlic works for medicinal purposes.

ginarox

hi beth,,, i was just wondering do you work for swf.com,,, :thinking: just curious....thanks and have a great day... and thankyou for your input i do appprciate it....

bunnyl99

I had the same problem w/my hippo when I got him. Rubbing on rocks & hiding in the smallest places. After he was comfortable, he settled right in & the rubbing & white marks went away. I've had him for about 4 mos now. I soak purple or brown seaweed in garlic guard & attach the clip to the side of the glass. He's doing great

ginarox

thankyou bunnyl99,,, my hippo is doing better..thankyou all for your input i do appreciate it..have a great day.....