silverado61. Rebuilding my 72g bow front and stand.

Discussion in 'Share Your Aquarium' started by silverado61, Aug 24, 2017.

1. silverado61

silverado61 Well-Known Member

2. The motto of aquarists everywhere.

-Kamran

3. silverado61

Damn Skippy.

jay0705 likes this.
  4. silverado61

I know it's been a while since I've posted anything here so here's a quick update:
    We finally closed on our house on April 30th and are slowly starting to move in. We're waiting till the kids finish school at the end of May to do the big move. The house has a finished basement with a large laundry room next to it with the breaker box so I can hard wire the stand the way I had it before. The laundry room is going to house my quarantine tank, a work bench for any work I do for the tank like building the 30g sump/fuge and the saltwater mixing station consisting of three 30g plastic food grade barrels. One for R/O water storage and the other two for saltwater storage. The barrels are going to be plumbed together so I can move water from one barrel to another and dispense water for W/C using a single pump and a plumbing system. It's still going to be a few months before I bring the display back to life due to building the new sump/fuge.
    In the meantime I've been getting equipment together. I bought a Current USA Marine link system so I can tie in and control my LED lights, return pump and power heads from one central hub. I also got titanium heaters for the sump/fuge, QT and water barrels. I'm also working to complete my DIY upflow algae scrubber. Plus tons of misc other doodads. Too many to list. I should have the tank and display moved into the house by next weekend. I'm starting to get pretty fired up about getting this going again. I thought we'd never find a house but this one is perfect. I'm a home owner again!

jay0705 likes this.
  5. beth

beth Administrator Staff Member

Sounds pretty exciting. New house, new tank! Just be careful with QT (or any tank) in laundry room where it may be exposed to chemicals/fumes.

silverado61 likes this.
  6. silverado61

Thanks Beth. Yes, I already took that into consideration. The rooms about 15'x20' and everything will be stationed opposite of the laundry side and nothing containing sprays or fumes will be stored in that room.

7. Sharkbait hoohaha

Sharkbait hoohaha New Member

I've tried this with coral skeletons before too, but the green algae always seems to take hold before the coraline. What is the trick to getting the coralline to grow? I've recently tried using "purple up," but it just seemed to trigger a red slime bloom.

8. silverado61

Chaetomorph in the sump or an algae scrubber to out compete for nutrients in the display.

9. Sharkbait hoohaha

Sharkbait hoohaha New Member

I just watched the diy fishkeeper’s video on scrubbers. I’m going to try that method first. I’ll try to post some pics of the build once I get it going.

10. silverado61

I'll be looking forward to seeing that.

11. novahobbies

novahobbies Well-Known Member

Congrats on the closing! Can't wait to see pics of the tank and wall unit in the final resting place

12. silverado61

I'm hoping to start working on the install the weekend after fathers day. First I have to build a work bench so I can cut glass for baffles in the diy sump. I have to do a leak test on the tank and sump also. Boths tanks have been in storage for a few years so I have to make sure all the seals are intact.

13. jay0705

jay0705 Administrator Staff Member

Fill that sucker up, not a gambling man silver? Lol

14. silverado61

Never was. Never will be Jay. Lmao

15. jay0705

jay0705 Administrator Staff Member

Ha ha smart move sir