Xenia Coral

coastie5685

Question. New to the hobby. Looking into an easy to care for beginner coral and have been reading up on Xenia coral. I have 14g Biocube with two emerald crabs and clownfish. Really just want the coral for clownfish to host in. Anemone to advanced for me.
Can anyone give me some info on Xenia coral.
What do they eat? If they eat?
I have biocube lighting. Which is white light then the coralife acintic???? lighting. How many hours per day for each lighting does the xenia require?
Any other info i need to know about the coral would be appreciated.

sickboy

They're pretty easy, mine grow like crazy. They don't need any special lighting, but i may not host your clown or your clown might not care for it. It could though, but no guarantees.

coastie5685

what are the lighting requirements and for how long each day for xenia coral. i have 1 10000k white bulb 25w and 25w true acitnic

I have the 29 gallon biocube and xenia do really well! all they need is about 8 hours a day of light. I une Kents marine zooplex a few times a week and they split off pretty regularly. Don't expect too much from the clown though, I hear that they host xenia sometimes but have never seen it personally. One I had a few years back hosted a frogspawn though. That is a good choice for a beginer/biocube. both corals are really easy to care for!

saltn00b

hey where in south florida? i have some xenia in tamarac, email me we will set something up.
mikeg31781 @ yahoo.com

florida joe

Hosting wil be difficult with this coral IMO. They are however a nice addition
"Pulse Corals" in the family Xeniidae are colonial animals with multiple individual polyps attached to a piece of solid substrate. They form stalks as they grow, and to reproduce. The eight-tentacle polyps can pump, or pulse. Many scientists believe the pumping action of the polyps slowly opening and closing is designed to dispose of gasses and waste. However, it is still unknown why these coral do pulse, and there are many water, lighting and nutrient factors involved. It is not necessarily a sign of ill health if they do cease to pulse.
It takes a careful eye to distinguish Heteroxenia from other Xenia species, with which they share most gross physical traits. They are easiest to identify upon maturity when colonies form distinctive small secondary polyps between larger polyps called siphonozooids. In the wild, Heteroxenia are found in calmer, back-reef niches and may occur in muddy or turbid waters.
Aqua cultured Heteroxenia are hardier than wild-caught species and tend to reproduce quickly. Therefore, provide adequate space between them and sessile animals, especially other types of soft corals. They require a medium to high light level combined with a medium to strong water movement within the aquarium. For continued good health, they will require the addition of iodine and other trace elements to the water.
They contain the symbiotic algae zooxanthellae from which they receive the majority of their nutritional requirements. Additional weekly feedings of micro-plankton or foods designed for filter feeders is also advisable

coastie5685

awesome thanks for the info. all around i think the xenia coral is an awesome piece of addition. and by the way. mike i emailed you man. im in pembroke pines. get back to me.... any other additives i need to put into the water for the xenia coral? ....

maryg

You shouldn't have to add anything. They will pick up whatever they need from the water column and from your water changes. You can however, add some phyto.

subielover

Being a Biocube 14 owner, there is no way I would be putting xenia in my tank. It will take over way to quick. If your sole reasoning is trying to find a coral that a ocellaris will host, you could try a frogspawn or torch, both of whom will be perfectly fine, light wise, in your Biocube 14. Word of caution though, they do have sweeper tentacles, but as long as they are given ample room, no worries. I have both in mine, fwiw

subielover

Some people have trouble with torch, I have not(knocks on wood.) Both are fine under pc lights, like I said though provide them sufficient room and they will be nice and happy. Make sure your calcium levels are right though before starting lps corals, other than that they are very easy to care for.

nycbob

xenia is very easy to keep for most. my 2 clowns actually do host the xenia in my fowlr. they do grow out of control though.

snakeblitz33

mushrooms, xenia, anthelia, daisy polyps, zoas and palythoas all do well under low light.
xenia and antheilia really are coral weeds. I don't keep any because I hate fragging all the time. Pulse xenia is pretty though!

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by danceswithalpac http:///t/347390/xenia-coral#post_3534716
I have three percula clowns and my female chose a male and they "kicked out" the other male, who now frolics in my xenia!
You will need to keep an eye open. There's a better than even chance that the second male will turn female. If that happens there could be a fight to the death between the two females.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/347390/xenia-coral#post_2922317
mushrooms, xenia, anthelia, daisy polyps, zoas and palythoas all do well under low light.
xenia and antheilia really are coral weeds. I don't keep any because I hate fragging all the time. Pulse xenia is pretty though!

Xenia is very light hungry.

tthemadd1

I have xenias and have had the same colony for around five years under 65w power compacts. They are one of the easier corals to keep.