Yellow Ball Sponge... and mystery sponge

pegasus

I seem to have an explosion of yellow ball sponges in my tank. I noticed a pair of small ones a couple of months ago. Today, I counted five large and two small YBS's... and these are the ones I can see. There's no telling how many more are hidden behind and between rocks. Do I have to worry about an epidemic of these sponges?

I also have a sponge that I haven't been able to identify. It has a lavender tint to it, and root-like runners (for the lack of a better term). These seem to grow a lot slower than the yellow balls, but they are starting to spread. Any idea of what I have?

flower

Wow...What a beautiful "problem" to have...LOL. You may be able to sell a few...if you do decide to share any...they must never touch the air, you would have to bag them underwater, and make sure no air pockets is in the bag when you seal it.

Sponges need lots of good water flow, and they are filter feeders, which means they naturally purify your water. Your tank must have the perfect conditions for them, all I ever got was the tiny white cotton candy looking ones. Good job!

pegasus

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'm not concerned that they are bad. Quite the contrary... I'm glad to see them. I just don't want to end up with a tank full of them. They are beautiful, and they contribute to the natural filtration that I'm striving to achieve. Other than my skimmer (which is awesome, by the way!), everything is biological and natural. I've had my RDSB connected for a couple of weeks, and my refugium is crammed full of Chaeto and Fern Caulerpa with a bed of Miracle Mud. I think I've finally turned the corner and Nitrates are actually reducing. YAY! I'm sure the sponges are playing a big role in this process, and I'm very happy they like my tank. Now that I know they can survive, and thrive, I may consider attempting other varieties. It may be awhile, as my wife is beginning to complain about how much I've spent on the system since I started 8 months ago... grrrrr! I desperately need to sell my retired stuff so she'll be happy...