1 1/2 years later still high nitrates HELP!!!

1journeyman

Many of us do in fact use "fresh" clams from the grocery store. You buy them, place them i na bowl fo tan kwater until they burp, then place in your tank. You need a sand bed for them.
They are Quahogs, Cherrynecks, etc. Clams typically found in GoM and along the east coast.
I wouldn't rely on them to reduce your nitrates however. You need to find the source.

srfisher17

I know they contribute to algae, and diatoms; but can someone point me to some research that shows nitrates in the 40-50 range as being dangerous in a FOWLR tank? I know, when it comes to nitrates; the lower the better, but I see a lot of folks losing sleep over having ANY nitrates in their tank. I'm not talking about reef tanks, that's another issue. I could be wrong, but until recently, I've never heard so much concern about nitrates in this range in a FOWLR tank. I can find lots of credible info that suggests the same. What am I missing?

geoj

Originally Posted by srfisher17
I know they contribute to algae, and diatoms; but can someone point me to some research that shows nitrates in the 40-50 range as being dangerous in a FOWLR tank? I know, when it comes to nitrates; the lower the better, but I see a lot of folks losing sleep over having ANY nitrates in their tank. I'm not talking about reef tanks, that's another issue. I could be wrong, but until recently, I've never heard so much concern about nitrates in this range in a FOWLR tank. I can find lots of credible info that suggests the same. What am I missing?
This is a very good point about FOWLR but some people use the FOWLR as a stepping-stone to test if they have the skill and pension to keep a reef tank. All though a reef tends to have less fish and less nitrate waist then a FOWLR.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by alfieferenzo84
high nitrates make the tank look like crap!
Also bad news my test kit was bad my nitrates where 200 and now there at 25
I agree, but what is "high". I've read several posts from folks whose nitrates are 20ppm and they're going crazy. That's my whole point, 20ppm in a FOWLR isn't high, or dangerous, IMO.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by GeoJ
This is a very good point about FOWLR but some people use the FOWLR as a stepping-stone to test if they have the skill and pension to keep a reef tank. All though a reef tends to have less fish and less nitrate waist then a FOWLR.
Good point; one I'd forgotten, its been a couple of years since I've had a reef tank. I can easily get my nitrates down under 5ppm by just cutting back on fish & feeding. I have no problem with my nitrates usually around 20+ ppm; again I'm only keeping fish. Water and tank are always sparking & fish thriving.

sk8shorty01

I believe all of the garbage you are seeing on your tank is cyanobacteria. Does it look like reddish slime? Use the search button above and look for "red slime algae" and there are tons of threads that explain exactly how to remove this. From the pictures you have given, that is what I believe it is, although I havent noticed anyone else talking about this issue... Am I incorrect?

I did some major water changes and tested daily for the past 2 wks and i am finding no ammonia or nitites, but lots of nitrates!!!
In 1 wk i am getting about 25+ppm of nitrates!!! Insane right well that what it is so there has to be somthing else wrong as the last week i only feed 2x very small amount witch i feel totally bad about!
So my thoughts are either the rock work needs to be moved around however i did add 2 power heads plus 2 hob filter just for water movement and that didnt seem to help!
2nd thought is the sand bed is crashed
3rd is maybe the puffer is just producing that much waste or is too big for tank?
4th My live rock aint good enough as half is fake but has been seeding for over a yr?
So with all that said anyother thought would be great!!! Or ideas of how to test rocks,sand would be great to! Thanks