1.5 gallon nano

swingsett

im thinking of doing it. i already have the tank, and id be swapping LR/LS from my other 55. thinking of putting a 1 inch sand bed, with like 4 pices of rock. like 2 lbs for filtration.
what are people using for filters? the rock and sand will help, but im getting an external too. ive seen the real small clear nano filters that ***** sells, does anyone here have one that can share their experiences? i think the smallest bio wheel filters would still be too big for this tank. i dont want a filter to take up half the top of this tank.
im planning on putting corals and such in too, with the 9" coralife light. does this come with a stand over the tank? or do i need to fab something up?
heres my stock list: two camel shrimp, and watchman goby. not really set on the goby, but whatever the smallest goby is id like to put on in. if this tank is too small for him and the shrimp, ill just go with the shrimp. thanks for the help and ideas all!
and would i need a powerhead? im thinking the filter should be enough of a flow, but i dont know how the corals will react without a powerhead. its kind of too small a tank for a powerhead.

nissan577

i have a 3 gallon i dont even have a fish there. for now yes cause my friend tank crash but the sixline is going. and im using the stock filter and my rocks get good flow.

debbie

Well, I have a 1 gal going. So you are only 1/2 gal more than me. I would not add any fish, I did that and they did not last long. The tank is just to small for them and a yellow watchman gets to a nice size. I had one in my 10 gal and they should be put into nothing smaller than a 10 gal.
Camel Back Shrimp, had them too and they love love love to nip at corals. They would not be my choice for any tank.
I have just 1 crab in my 1 gal and that is perfect. I found that snails just don't have enough food in there for them so leave them out. The crab I do give some food to 3 times a week.
Sexy Shrimp are so adorable and you could put 2 in there for sure.
Careful as to what kinds and sizes of corals you put into this little tank also.
I to have the coralife 9" 18 watt fixture. It it longer than my little tank so the legs don't fit onto it. I am just in the midst of figuring it out as to the proper height to avoid excess heat from it. So far so good and I will be making a nice stand for it. I love this light and the corals are doing very well with it too.

swingsett

i just looked at the camelback shrimp on here, it says to monitor them with polyps. actually, what is the green coral you have in your tank? its awesome. id actually be happy with just that.
i was thinking maybe a fire shrimp, and a zebra. or maybe 3 zebra shrimp?
what filter are you using debbie?

keri

+1 on the sexy shrimp, I think fish would probably do poorly in that size and the sexies are very interesting to watch.

debbie

swingsett;2750936 said:
i just looked at the camelback shrimp on here, it says to monitor them with polyps.
**Believe me the do nip your corals.
actually, what is the green coral you have in your tank? its awesome. id actuallybe happy with just that.
**These are Green Stary Polyps, I just love them. They spread quite fast and are readily available too.
i was thinking maybe a fire shrimp, and a zebra. or maybe 3 zebra shrimp?
**I think any of the shrimps you are wanting are way to big for this size of tank. You have to think about their wiskers that they have and some are really long. They need room. In my opinion the only shrimp for this size of tank is the Sexy Shrimp.
what filter are you using debbie?
**I am using the mini filter this tank came with. I think the Aqua Clear Mini Filter would be okay too as you can control the flow of it. But you can buy these mini filters that I have somewhere I have seen some posts where people have bought them.

nissan577

Debbie i really like your tank alot.
. i saw your tank at my lfs set up but it wasnt really good compares to yours. and how is the light working out for you?

debbie

Thank you so much for the kind words. I really love it, everything is doing really well in it. My new Yuma Pink Ric is doing great also, the Florida Orange Ric is growing as well.
I am very happy that I did get the light, I now have to make a stand for it as I have been playing with the height of it to make sure it does not heat my tank up to much.
Your tank is looking really good too....

nissan577

Thanks
. Ive notice that about your tank now. the corals open up more and they show more color. i read a while ago that you have a moon light. how did you put it on? i have it on mine but i tape it on my light hood

debbie

My moon light is just hanging between my heater and filter. I have not mounted it any other way yet till I make a more permanent holder for the fixture. But it works and you don't even notice it is there as everything is black.

nissan577

i had a fire shrimp and for me it did more of showing off his red then anything else. and sexy shrimp really dont do anything either. well for me they dont. the ones that help me alot are blue leg crabs, turbo snails, pep shrimp, and cleaner shrimp. those inverts i think are really good help.

swingsett

good news, the tank i thought was a 1.5, is actually a 2.5! i have a whole nother gallon to work with.
so with this new info, is 1 brittle starfish doable? what about a sexy shrimp and a clown goby?

debbie

I would not do the brittle star, my 10 gal was way to small for it as they get to quite a size. Stability of a tank this size would also be an issue.
Sexy Shrimp and Clown Goby would be okay, I would lean more towards 2 Sexy Shrimp and some nice corals myself and leave the clown goby out.

swingsett

you know what, im just going to get two sexy shrimp and corals, like you say.
what do you mean by stability? ill have one of those small nano filters, and ill have a good amount of liverock too.